Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

D-Link DI604 setup problems.

• Please log in to reply

jst42day

jst42day

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
I bought the DI 604 from Newegg and when I opened it I just had a feeling that this was not going to make smile very much.
It was a White Box purchase. Only cost $30.00. But the router itself wasn't even wrapped in something protective. All the parts were there but, except for the smaller ones, were loose in the box. It does have the latest firmware update. The enclosed cd had been used before.
In the past I've had good luck with white box stuff but this might be the last time I do it.
I can't configure the router.
I hook it up and enter the unit's ip address and then enter the user name.
And with that we come to a screeching halt. This unit will not let me get to the set up screen.
I've rebooted it and my modem and my pc numerous times. Also reset the router a few times.
Turned off all security hardware.
Still only get to the same point.
It downloads ever so slowly the first screen where you would choose what you were going to do next. Click run wizard and die of old age.
D-Link's canned email support told me to reset it. Not much help since I'd already done it.
I use cable broadband with XP Pro, SP2 with no problem when I'm not trying to set up my router.
I can use the internet while plugged onto the router but it's a little slower.
Am I doing something wrong or could this be a defective unit.
Thanks.
J.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
if you've done a factory restore by pressing the tiny button on the back and your still having connectivity issues (assuming your trying to connect the the setup on a wired connection),,, then this one may be ready for the circular filing cabinet.... :whistling: there are other ways to connect to a router but that is way beyond my ability.

wait.... enter the unit's ip address... you said... I hope your talking about the default gateway address from an ipconfig in command prompt right?

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 22 April 2007 - 06:47 PM.

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
I'm entering 192.168.0.1 in the address bar as per the instructions. This is also shown in the booklet.
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I think I'll just talk to Newegg and return it for credit and get another one.
J.

Edited by jst42day, 22 April 2007 - 08:54 PM.