Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'VE GOT A PROBLEM!PLEASE HELP!

• Please log in to reply

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Well this is my problem i recently upgraded my computer case from a normal atx case to a Thermaltake Armour Jnr. I hooked everything up and then when i went to turn it on it didnt start!!I then thought maybe its the wire's that hook the power button from the front panel to the mobo was'nt configured correctly i checked it according to what it says in my mobo manual and still nothing!!But i noticed that the power is going to the mobo as there is a green led light on my mobo thats on when i turn the psu on. But when i do press the power button i notice that the fans on the case move like a 'twitch'.

I have read the mobo manual over and over again, so any help is much appreciated!!

Here is my specs:

CPU:P4-630 LGA-775 3Ghz CPU with 2Mb L2
MOBO:ASUS P5LD2
RAM:2x GEIL PC5300 512mb DDRII RAM
GFX CARD:Gigabyte nVidia GeForce 6600GT PCI-E x16 GPU
DVD:ASUS DRW-1608P ATAPI DVD writer
ASUS DRW-1608P ATAPI DVD writer
PSU:ThermalTake TR2-430 watt
HDD:160 GB Western Digital 'Caviar' WD 1600 SATAII HDD

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
It sounds like the PSU has gone bad to me. Have you added anything recently? Try removing the ram and harddrive to see if it'll post into the BIOS just to rule out the RAM or Harddrive being the issue, but then again I doubt this is whats causing your problems. Do you have a friends PSU that you could possibly borrow to confirm this? If so that's the first thing that I'd try. I really think it's your PSU that has gone down the drain.
James

Edited by james_8970, 22 April 2007 - 11:37 PM.

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
well the power supply is brand new and came with the case, so i dont think its the psu. I even took out the psu out of my other computer and chucked it in and still the same thing happend!
The problem is just getting the comnputer to start, its like the power button that turns the computer on is'nt working, but im not to sure!

Edited by Neo_RiP, 23 April 2007 - 12:58 AM.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
when you installed the motherboard into the case did you use the correct motherboard stand-offs? this could be casing a short between your motherboard and the case

this could be the reason why your computer is not booting

troppo

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
well i used the stand offs that came with the case!should i try using the standoffs from my old case?

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Test the power supply by short curcuiting the Green power and Black ground wire from the 24-pin power connecter. Notice this doesn't mean cut the wire I mean get a wire that is not hooked to anything and then put one end in the black and one end in the green. The black can be any of the blacks.

If this doesn't work your power supply is dead. Also make sure that the 4 pin power connector is connected, that is the yellow and black one.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 23 April 2007 - 03:27 PM.

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
but the thing is if there was no power from the power supply then wouldnt the led light on the mobo be on!and i tested the power supply on my other computer and it was fine!could it have something to do with the studs that the mobo is sitting on?do you think this could be a esd problem?

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
well i have finally got my computer going, by removing the 4Pin ATX 12V. But now im getting no signal on my monitor, apparently i need that 4Pin to get my pci-e cards going, but then when i plugged it back in i go back to square one of the computer not turning on.

Any ideas of getting around this??

Gusterv10

Gusterv10

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
If you have nothing to lose, try take the mobo would and running it from outside the case on a piece of cardboard or something else nonconducting.