Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't delete.... anything

• Please log in to reply

Crantel

Crantel

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey,
About a few weeks ago my computer screwed up and I got it reforamted and fixed. Now after this has happend I cannot delete any files on my computer. It says that windows has had some error and my computer just restarts on its own. Any help?

Edited by Crantel, 09 April 2005 - 07:13 AM.

Advertisements

dflo404

dflo404

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
What are you trying to delete? Are they like simple files, programs, software...etc

dflo404

dflo404

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
You can most likely just delete from MS-DOS and it will be fine.

Crantel

Crantel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm not farmiliar with DOS at all... and I'm trying to delete anything... I can't delete any random file. I can't even delete desktop icons

dflo404

dflo404

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Well, if you want to give it a shot, heres how you can delete from DOS

Go to RUN, and type cmd to bring up the command prompt.

Say you had a file in my documents called FILE.doc

Type in: DEL C:\"documents and settings"\yourname\"my documents"\FILE.doc

Basiclly your typing DEL to tell DOS you want to delete this spacific file. You are then typing in the exact location of the file, folder by folder.

Hit enter, and hopefully it shouldn't say anything, and hopefully you shouldn't get any of your error messages you've been getting. If it still goes wrong, the problem must be pretty deep inside the computer, and I wouldn't be too sure how to handle it from there.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
crantel, it is a very bad idea to post your email address on a public forum

There are programs that scan the web for emails to build spam lists. You may want to edit that.

As for your problem....

start > run
eventvwr.msc
look through Apllications and System
Any Red Xs...what are they?

Crantel

Crantel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
One red x was in application with the following: Faulting application svchost.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.
Another is Hanging application IEXPLORE.EXE, version 6.0.2900.2180, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

One in system looked like this The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.

I'de like to point out that system was full of X's

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Let's start with a checkdisk

(how many harddrives do you have)?

One in system looked like this The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.

This is not good....probably not the whole issue, but let's start there.

Start > run, type
cmd
<enter>

At the ................../> prompt, type
chkdsk /f /r
computer will say it cannot access the drive while mounted, and perform on reboot.

Do so
Take a short jog, drive, walk,,,whatever,....will take a while

Again, just clearning up another problem that may be related first.

When you attempt to delete a file, what happens? What error message

Crantel

Crantel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Umm basically that Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close and that they are sorry for the inconvience... I'm going to try that whole restart thingy you told me to do

Crantel

Crantel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
and after that my desktop crashes and I get one that says DrWatson Posstmortem Debugger has encountered a problem and needs to close

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ahhh, there you go. the secret is revealed

You have a spyware issue.

Go to the malware forum, read the top, then post a hijackthis log

http://www.softpedia...ijackThis.shtml

Crantel

Crantel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I don't get how I can have spyware when the problem was there before I had even downloaded anything and it was right after a reformat.

Crantel

Crantel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Heres the log file from the ad ware remover thignie

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You missed
a) posting the log
b) the part about posting it in the other forum

Crantel

Crantel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:02:35 PM, on 4/9/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\Norman\LOCALS~1\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis[1].zip\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
O2 - BHO: Viewpoint Toolbar BHO - {A7327C09-B521-4EDB-8509-7D2660C9EC98} - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Toolbar\ViewBarBHO.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Viewpoint Toolbar - {F8AD5AA5-D966-4667-9DAF-2561D68B2012} - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Toolbar\ViewBar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UserFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -u
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe -silent
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Viewpoint Search - res://C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Toolbar\ViewBar.dll/CXTSEARCH.HTML
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes0521.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes0521.dll
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {288C5F13-7E52-4ADA-A32E-F5BF9D125F98} (CR64Loader Object) - http://www.miniclip....pGameLoader.dll
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupd...b?1111099193754
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe