Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Motherboard / Processor problems

• Please log in to reply

Hadrien

Hadrien

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My computer is a two year old Sony Vaio with Windows XP, Pentium III processor.

I don't know much about computers honestly, but here is my problem.

A few days ago my Sony Vaio desktop computer worked fine. Never had any problems with it, never had issues with viruses or firewalls, no errors ever came up, never had to restore my computer, none of that. I turned it off one morning(it worked perfectly fine), then turned it back on an hour later, and nothing would load. The led light came on, the fan came on, everything checked out but nothing came up on the monitor, it was a black screen and the fan went up to high power and never shut off ( normally the fan went off after the desktop loaded and came up, or at least went to low power). I figured it was a monitor problem so I changed monitors twice. Didn't fix it.

My next thought was the video card went out. So I changed the video card. Still didn't work.

I ended up taking the computer to Best Buy to have them look at it. Spent $80 for them to tell me my computer was a little dusty and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

So, I took the computer apart myself. I took the fan off the processor chip and found that the logo on the back of the pentium III processor chip had melted off. There wasn't any damage to the motherboard, just looked like the chip got a little overheated. It wasn't warped or anything, just the back of it had melted off.

I was going to buy a new processor chip, the exact model that was on it before and see if that works, but I was told by a friend that there may have been other damage to the motherboard or hardrive.

I tested the hardrive theory out, I put the hardrive of my computer into my brothers Sony Vaio (slightly older version from mine with a pentium II processor) and everything came up fine on it. The only thing I noticed is that when I turned his computer on, the fan once again went to high power and did not turn off. Everything else seemed fine though.

I don't have the money to buy a new computer or build my own, so I'm hoping buying a new processor chip would work. But I don't want to waste money if there's no chance it will work. Can anyone tell me anything more about this problem?

Advertisements