Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer woes...

• Please log in to reply

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
hi,
i have a problem with my other computer, when i turn it on, it beeps twice as usual, then it says looking for boot record from cd rom/floppy, and then after that, the windows xp screen is supposed to pop up with the little blue lines showing that its loading. but at that point my computer just freezes, the same thing happens when i use a bootable cd rom, when it says push any key to boot from cd, i do that. and then it says setup is inspecting hardware configuration, and at that point my computer just crashes...
is this a hardware problem?
i cant even go to safe mode or anything, my computer just crashes..

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
"beeps twice as usual" ?? Every PC I've owned (this is my 7th.) only beeps once to indicate that all is well. Two beeps usually indicates faulty RAM At least this is true for an AMI or Compaq BIOS. Beep codes vary according to the BIOS manufacturer of course, but I've yet to come across one that beeps twice for to indicate a successful POST. I may be wrong in your case of course. Just never come across such a BIOS myself.

Edited by pip22, 23 April 2007 - 09:34 AM.

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

hi,
i have a problem with my other computer, when i turn it on, it beeps twice as usual, then it says looking for boot record from cd rom/floppy, and then after that, the windows xp screen is supposed to pop up with the little blue lines showing that its loading. but at that point my computer just freezes, the same thing happens when i use a bootable cd rom, when it says push any key to boot from cd, i do that. and then it says setup is inspecting hardware configuration, and at that point my computer just crashes...
is this a hardware problem?
i cant even go to safe mode or anything, my computer just crashes..

ever since i had bought this computer (over 2 years ago) it always beeped twice on every boot up, i had reformatted my computer last week and since saturday afternoon, this problem occured...it just crashes when the windows xp screen is supposed to come up, is this a hardware or a sofware problem?

Erik the Expert

Erik the Expert

• Pip
  • 4 posts
If you got two sticks of RAM pull one see if it still happens. Then try the other. RAM is an easy test to see if it is the problem. It does sound like a hardware problem as two beeps isn't normal. Find out your model # of your motherboard and go to the manuf's web site and see what two beeps mean. It could mean something completely normal.

Could be bad video card also, if the screen shutters or crashes wierd it can be RAM or normally video card, if its onboard video it could be the motherboard. Since it is failing booting off a KNOWN GOOD CD it has to be something hardware.

Good luck!