Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

hitachi hard drive 15 or 16 heads

• Please log in to reply

dfoss

dfoss

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have inherited a Hitachi HDT722516DLAR80 - you can jumper it to 15 or 16 heads. What does this mean? - The drive is recognized OK as 15 or 16 when I try Cable Select with whichever way round I choose when I check the bios. But what is the significance of this?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
This is what is happening here. This is likely, I haven't checked the specs on this, a one head one platter drive and the controller chip on the drive can emulate a 15 or 16 head drive, this is done just in case your BIOS can only see one or the other. It really won't make much difference but the 16 head setting may run a little faster so choose that one if possible.

dfoss

dfoss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks Tyger
I will set it to 16 heads then - this disc was supposed to be dead, but I just think it was offerred to an elderly PC and the bios was not asked to detect the hard drives again - I will do a low level format using a Maxtor Powermax floppy - that's how I usually start with second hand drives, then let XP look at it and partition and format it for me. So far I have got it up and running using Powermax, recognised as unformatted on an old Packard Bell P61WF

dfoss
When you get to my age every day is a new experience

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You're following a sound procedure, that way nothing is there to interfere with the new OS.