Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to complete XP repair install

• Please log in to reply

manu08

manu08

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I've been trying to do a XP Home Edition repair install for a very long time now. I've restarted it a lot of times but in the "Installing Windows" section when it says setup will approximately complete in 25 mintues it starts "copying files", I get this "copy error"

Setup cannot copy the file licwmi.dl_.

Ensure that the disk labeled 'Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1 CD' is in the drive section below, or provide the location where the file can be found.

Why is this coming and how do I get rid of it? I've tried copying the files from the cd onto an external hard drive and browsing to that location to copy the file but that doesn't seem to work either. I also made a copy of my XP HE cd and that didn't work either. Any ideas?
I've disconnected all but one of my hard drives, all but one of my optical drives, disconnected my sound card and also am using only one RAM module.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi manu08...

Usually when the installation stalls at copying files, it's bad RAM.

Download this Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and test your RAM modules one at a time. Be sure to read the Quick Start instructions on the page I linked to...they explain how to make either a bootable floppy or a bootable cd.

wannabe1

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Hi,
I've tested my RAM with memtest for hours and it has shown no problems. About a week back I purchased new RAM and tried with that too but still same problems came up. If you could go to this you would see I have proceeded further into this problem of mine and now that I've installed XP onto my IDE hard drive there seems to be quite honestly no logical explanation to this "copy error" mystery I've got going on. Lol. It makes no sense, I've installed XP on this SATA hard drive of mine many times before using this exact CD. If you do come up with any suggestions please do post up.
Thank you very much.
Oh btw, now that I've installed a brand new fresh copy of XP I need to know a few things.
I will want to recover all my data from my other hard drive but I'm guessing I should leave that to the last right? My ethernet card has not yet been detected so I would have to install the drivers for that in order to connect to the internet so I guess I'll have to that right away. After that how should I proceed? In what order should everything be installed on a new installion of XP such as applications, drivers, windows updates, anti-virues, firewall etc. Right now I've got Windows XP Service Pack 1 on my computer after this re-installation.