Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting Up A Network

• Please log in to reply

Maleboe

Maleboe

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
I am directly connnected to the internet, my father is on a laptop wirelessly connected. We would like to share an external hard drive between the two computers, how exactly do I go about doing that? Both computers are Win XP Pro

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
A) Do you already have the external hd?
B) If answer is yes, do you have external hd connected to either machine?
C) Do you have both machines setup on the same WORKGROUP already?

Maleboe

Maleboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Yes, I already have an external hard driv, its connected to one of the machines and I don't know ow to set up both machines on the same workgroup. I'm very new with networking. Thanks in advance.

Love and Peace,

Josh

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Give This tutorial by SpaceCowboy706 a read, it's got just about everything you'd need to know about setting up a workgroup between your computers

Maleboe

Maleboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Where exactly would I start on there, its pretty long.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
where do you normally start? at the beginning....if you see steps that you've already done...continue on to the next step

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Windows XP makes it fairly easy to network and share files and folders. The wizard guides you through it for the most part, and if you have a jump drive or disc handy, you can just make a Network disc from it and plug it in to the other computer to set up the network there. It is fairly simple to set up, then you just have to select what files you want to share (aka whatever drive name the external hard drive is).

Maleboe

Maleboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
i couldn't get WEP to work, it caused connectivity problems with my dads laptop.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
For now, leave WEP off, it can be added later but get your functionality working first.

Maleboe

Maleboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
I realize what I did wrong, I forgot to add his MAC address to the MAC Address Filter

Maleboe

Maleboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
I still for the life of me can't get any files shared or the printer networked. I followed the guide and I search for the printer and/or file I want to access on the network and all I get is "Microsoft Windows Network without anything in it".

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Try going to a command prompt and trying to ping the machine that has shared files on the drive. If ping is successful, open a run prompt and type: "//<ip of shared machine>" and see what happens.

Maleboe

Maleboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
i did a PING on it had to google it. and got this, http://img443.images...e=ippinglw2.jpg

What exactly do I do next? What exactly do I type?

Edited by Maleboe, 26 April 2007 - 12:28 AM.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Well, that's good, you are getting response so the machines can speak to each other. You blocked out the IP address in the pic, so i can't give you an exact string to type in the run window, but, for instance if the ip you bleeped out were 192.168.0.101, you would click the start>run buttons, and in the run box you would type:

//192.168.0.101

At this point, it will try to locate a shared folder on that machine, and if login credentials are needed, it should pop up a window saying so..
If there's a shared printer on that computer it should show it too. Try that and post back with results.

Maleboe

Maleboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
http://img442.images...untitledno1.jpg <---- Thats what I got