Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! I don't know what this is pop up error message is.

• Please log in to reply

srksrk

srksrk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I keep getting a pop up message (actually 2 similiar mssg.) - it says Messenger Service in the top corner and in the box it says:

Message from Local System to user on (date & time)
CRITICAL ERROR MESSAGE! Registry Damaged & Corrupted
To fix this proplem:
Open IE & type www.registrycleanerxp.com
Once you load the web page, close this message window
After you install the cleaner program you will not receive any more reminders or popups like this. Visit www. registrycleaner.com immediately!

The other message says (same messenger service box)
Message from Registry to Cleaner
Stop! Registry Cleaner Recommended
To download & scan computer for registry error:
1. Visit www. registrycleaner.com
2. Download & install Registry Cleaner
3. Scan computer for any possible errors
4. Register to complete scan corrections
5. Registry cleaner can improve system performance & stability issues.

I get this pop up constantly (like every minute or two). I have re-formatted my hard drive & reinstalled my operating system and a minute after windows starts up, I get the pop up again. If I unplug my ethernet cord from my modem (I have comcast high speed internet), I don't get the message. I even plugged in a different computer to my modem and bam! it got the pop up too! I've tried anti-virus protection, firewall, spyware/adware scans nothing gets rid of it. Somebody please help me. I don't know what else to do!

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and run this, then restart the PC

http://www.grc.com/s...hemessenger.htm

Have you got SP2 installed

If you still get the error

Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

srksrk

srksrk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I am unable to download shoot the messenger. I get the downloading screen, but the progress bar never advances and after a while I get an error telling me it's unable to download and that it timed out. I can download other things though.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://www.microsoft...e/stopspam.mspx