I wanted to list some of my problems and it all happened within 3 days (most of them). I think it was after I got some sort of malware possibly from IE. Although I usually use Firefox. I also posted a hijack this log which I proved a link below, just in case you wanna take a better look.
PROBLEMS (in order of occurrence):
1) iTunes and QuickTime stopped running... you turn it on, it quickly removes itself from process list, and doesn't show an inch of GUI. Uninstalling causes errors, Installing causes errors, I tried manually removing everything, and it didn't help, it still gives an error in installation ("setup failed to install because of configuration problems"). I hadn't updated it or done anything to it. I used Filemon and Regmon to see what was wrong, and it seems to be related to CFSserv.exe(system process) which would have a bunch of problems.
2) After hours of using the computer, a message will pop up randomly saying "Windows File Protection" "[Please insert Windows XP CD as there are some files that need to be replaced for your windows system to run stabely.]"
The message will pop up 3 times, each cancel I press it warns me that my system may be unstable.
Also, I don't have a Windows XP cd, so I have not been able to try this solution (it is way back home).
3) Before you know it, after each restart CFSserv.exe will usually but not always crash. So will tabuserw.exe (wacom tablet process).
4) At the same time, explorer.exe will freeze, and stay that way, until I close it through task manager and run explorer.exe again.
5) Latest error, Unable to connect, errors show up on ALL 3 browsers (Opera, Firefox, IE) randomly, but not often. But this may be unrelated.
1) Manual uninstall reinstall of iTunes.
2) Adaware for possible VX infections... Only detected 30 cookies, and refuses to update.
3) Spybot S&D.. only detected a few cookies.
4) Attempted to install nod32, after installation and restart, no program will work except startup programs, every double click on a program says "Access to drive/file is not permitted. Access denied".
So I uninstalled nod32, and the error disappeared.
5) Attempted to install Kaspersky 6.0...At installation when selecting location to install... I get an error: "You selected an invalid target folder or drive. Application must be installed on the local hard drive. It is not recommended to install the application into the root or system folder. The installation folder name should not exceed 200 symbols and cannot contain any special characters."
It is the default folder, I tried several different folder names, didn't work, obviously a problem with my windows.
Any ideas? As a C++ programmer, this probable infection, is probably the worst I've ever seen. A very smart virus indeed (unless its some weird microsoft problem... or a side effect of something I may have installed).
Thanks for any help!!! (IF i have posted in wrong section please move my post, sorry)
Edited by eXecute, 23 April 2007 - 08:42 PM.