Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer sharing between XP and Vista

• Please log in to reply

twibb

twibb

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Woo hoo! Worked like a charm!

I have a Canon i850 attached to a Win XP SP3 desktop and wanted to print to it from a Vista desktop on my home network. Instructions worked perfectly. Thanks for the research Andy!

Advertisements

gigginpig

gigginpig

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Alternative that WORKED for me:

I got my HP4200 Series to work FINALLY. The stupid thing is that in the end, the process that worked for me was extremely easy:

Like the previous poster, my HP printer is connected to my Desktop running XP. My new notebook is running Vista wireless on my home network. The printer is shared and XP is set up properly, but Vista could not connect - "Access Denied" message. So...

I uninstalled the printer from the Vista machine (actually did a system refresh to the point BEFORE I installed the printer to wipe out any evidence of it). Then...

I went to the Add Printer function in Vista. Under add printer, instead of choosing NETWORK printer, I chose LOCAL printer.

On the next window, I chose Create New Port

Then, when the box comes up for the new port name, I typed in the network location of the XP printer: \\Homenetwork\HP4200. You'll want to substitute your home network and printer names, obviously.

The Vista machine then installed the printer and everything worked immediately.

*Note: I had already tried installing the printer on the vista machine and changing the port in the printer properties as one person had instructed, but that didn't work, as I was getting the "Access Denied" message when I tried to connect to the printer. Only after I completely uninstalled the printer and then re-installed using the steps described above did I get it to work.

I hope this helps somebody!

phillaube

phillaube

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had a successful share and then lost it. I've tried all of the suggestions here: installed again locally (i had deleted the earlier driver in an attempt to fix this - a mistake) and added a port with all options of capitalization, I've checked the network settings, I can see the other XP machines in the house. The message i get is that file cannot be accessed. The only big change is that I switched from AVG to Microsoft Security Essentials for virus protection. Is there a setting in MS that is blocking me?

claire1234

claire1234

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ANDY--- I had to take a minute to express my sincere thanks! I spent a whole day reading posts on the internet trying to print wirelessly from my laptop. I tried about 30 different suggestions and none worked until I stumbled on this. After reading your advice about hooking up the printer (mine is a Canon MP830) directly to my laptop so it could autoload drivers, it worked perfectly. I can now print wirelessly from my Windows Vista (64 bit) laptop to my Windows XP (32 bit) PC : ) Many posts advised that it was not possible to print from Vista 64 to XP 32, but they were wrong! THANKYOUTHANKTHANKYOU!!!

esspwebmaster

esspwebmaster

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Andy, I went through your procedure and it went well until step 7 when I hit OK it came back with the following: "insufficient space in server" and it failed. Any suggestions?

yeah i agree with you

benawhile

benawhile

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Tried Andy's solution on a Canon MP470 and it worked, thank you.
Could anyone advise at exactly what stage the USB is disconnected from the satellite pc , ie the Windows 7 one, and when to reconnect to the printer host machine, the XP one in my case?
I have to do this to two more laptops and I cannot remember when I disconnected usb and don't want to get it wrong.

Juliane123

Juliane123

• Pip
  • 4 posts
A couple of basic guidelines:

1) Yes, both computers are in the same workgroup
2) Yes, printer and file sharing is enabled on both machines