Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer sharing between XP and Vista

• Please log in to reply

Andy9406

Andy9406

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have recently purchased a new HP laptop with vista installed. This is connected to a 802.11g wireless network with 3 other PC's , all XP service pack 2.
I can ping to / from all PC's to all others.
The Vista network map shows all the PC's (now I have added LLTD support to XP)

When I try to share the HP 3110 printer on my desktop PC the Vista PC shows it is there but when I try to access it I get a "Access denied" message both PC's have the same user ID and password set.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Andy9406

Moved to Vista Forum

Edited by Fenor, 24 April 2007 - 08:52 AM.

Advertisements

Andy9406

Andy9406

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The following solution is ex HP care.

1. Unplug your USB cable from the back of the Windows XP PC and plug the USB cable directly into your Windows Vista PC.
2. The Windows Vista drivers for your printer should be automatically loaded and your printer will be installed on your Windows Vista PC. If this was successful, skip right to step 3.
If step 2 is not successful

i. Download the Windows Vista printer driver for your printer from
the manufacturers website.

1. If your printers manufacturer has not created a Vista driver
yet, retry step 2.

ii. Install the driver on your Windows Vista PC. During
installation, youll be prompted to connect the printer to your PC.
Choose the option to proceed with installation without connecting the printer.

3. After installation is complete, open the Printers icon in the Windows Vista Control Panel.
4. Right-click on your printer that was just installed and choose Properties.
5. Navigate to the Ports tab.
6. Click Add Port, then select Local Port, then click New Port.
7. For the Port Name, enter the exact network path and share name of your printer. (ex. - \\HOMEPC\Printer2) 8. Click OK and make sure that this new port is selected with a check in the checkbox.
9. Click Apply and then OK to close the printer properties.
10. You should now be able to print from your Windows Vista PC to a shared printer located on your Windows XP PC.

zz1980

zz1980

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Andy, I am at the step 7 but when you say type exact network path and share name, when can i check network and path name? from desktop. Can you advice me more. I open the printer-property-port from my desktop and my laptop, they both are same : Port: USB001; Decsription: virtual printer port for usb; Printer: Samsung ML-2510. Becuase they are both same so I did not do anything at step 7 but when I print from laptop (viata), I can see 1 document in queue but never came out

Edited by zz1980, 16 October 2007 - 07:59 PM.

mitz

mitz

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Have you got the same user id and password on your computers...because you should not..When sharing files or printers you need different user names etc...For example my name on my desktop is mitz and password **** and on my laptop it is mitz2 and password *****
I share a printer with vista and XP...It works just the same..I didn't install any drivers or do anything to share the printer...vista does it for you...

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Problem solved here...it might be easier to understand:
http://forums.cnet.c...m...132&start=0

Obcvic

Obcvic

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Problem solved here...it might be easier to understand:
http://forums.cnet.c...m...132&start=0

Unfortunately that link doesnt solve the whole problem. ANDY9406's answer is DEAD ON. There is another workable solution which also requires taking your Vista notebook to the printer you want to hit at the XP machine and plug in the USB cord to trigger the driver install (I had to do it twice due to errors and hiccups installing) then go ahead and install it as a network printer as the article linked above also states. But the article link above I think leaves out the critical steps of the plugging in the printer to trigger the printer driver install on the Vista machine. You cannot just download the driver package from HP to the Vista and then try to set up the printer as a network printer, IT DOESNT WORK. Once the driver is properly in, you can indeed set up the printer as a network printer and it will set up a virtual USB in Vista, but the HP solution is better because it allows you to read the online status of the printer once it is installed. The other way will work and it prints but the HP solution with the adding of the local port is more elegant in it's operation. Cheers, and THANKS to ANDY9406!

rsbnt

rsbnt

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thank you very much and IT WORKS. your steps are so simple to follow. May God bless you for your help.

truly,
Mohammad

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I would like to post this here for others who have a network problem between Vista and XP
How to get Vista to network with XP

Click Start, and then click Network. (Or you can click Start, type ncpa.cpl into the search box, and press ENTER).
2. Click on the Network and Sharing Center, and then click Manage Network Connections.
3. Right click on the Local Area Connection or the connection you are using.
4. Select the Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
5. Click the Advanced button under the General tab.
6. Click the WINS tab.
7. Click the Enable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP button.
8. Click Ok.

Trekker182

Trekker182

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone!

I have a Windows XP machine that's connected via USB to a Brother HL-1440 laser printer. I'm trying to connect my new laptop with Vista to share the printer.

I followed the steps up untill step 7. When I try adding the path of the port \Trekker182\\BrotherH, it says that it can't find it. But when I just click on the Trekker182 port and select it, it allows it but then it will not work when I send docs to it. Under printer it just lists Brother HL-1440, not the name of the shared network printer BrotherH that I gave it. I also changed the name of my shared printer to Brother HL-1440 just in case that might have been it, but it still doesn't print.

Any idea's?

Thanks.

worf51

worf51

• Pip
  • 4 posts
:)

I would like to post this here for others who have a network problem between Vista and XP
How to get Vista to network with XP

Click Start, and then click Network. (Or you can click Start, type ncpa.cpl into the search box, and press ENTER).
2. Click on the Network and Sharing Center, and then click Manage Network Connections.
3. Right click on the Local Area Connection or the connection you are using.
4. Select the Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
5. Click the Advanced button under the General tab.
6. Click the WINS tab.
7. Click the Enable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP button.
8. Click Ok.

thank you meow for the straight forward explanation on how to printer share,i have been looking into the exact procedure,much appreciated.........

Advertisements

Canberra

Canberra

• Pip
  • 2 posts

1. Unplug your USB cable from the back of the Windows XP PC and plug the USB cable directly into your Windows Vista PC.
2. The Windows Vista drivers for your printer should be automatically loaded and your printer will be installed on your Windows Vista PC. If this was successful, skip right to step 3.

yet, retry step 2.

3. After installation is complete, open the Printers icon in the Windows Vista Control Panel.
7. For the Port Name, enter the exact network path and share name of your printer. (ex. - \\HOMEPC\Printer2) 8. Click OK and make sure that this new port is selected with a check in the checkbox.
10. You should now be able to print from your Windows Vista PC to a shared printer located on your Windows XP PC.

Canberra

Canberra

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Andy, I went through your procedure and it went well until step 7 when I hit OK it came back with the following: "insufficient space in server" and it failed. Any suggestions?

alanrosesf

alanrosesf

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thank you all for this information. Even with the information provided on this thread, I still had to do more research and have solved my similar issues.

First, I too have in the house an XP machine and a Vista laptop. The issues were the XP would see the files on the Vista but the Vista would not see the XP files or printer.

I did indeed install the LLTD and that did not solve the problem. I have an Epson printer and followed the general information on the driver install on the Vista machine and plugging in the printer to the Vista laptop to complete the driver install. That too did not work.

I attempted to ping from the XP to the Vista and that worked, but pinging Vista to XP failed. It just had to be a Firewall issue. I'm using McAfee and that in itself is a pain to figure out. I noticed in the McAfee Advanced settings on both machines the proper IP addresses were set as 'Trusted'. Did not make sense. So, in McAfee I went ahead and added a new entry for 'trusted' for the Vista machine on the XP machine. That did the trick. Vista machine now sees and can access all the XP.

Thank you all again for this great thread and leading me to solve this issue.

Bartholomew von Klick

Bartholomew von Klick

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to share a printer on my XP machine so I can use it from my two Vista machines.

I've followed the original post's walk-through to the letter, but when I get to step seven, it tells me it cannot find that port.

The workgroups are the same, I think, but I'm so illiterate about networking that I'm not even sure what information I need to give for anyone here to come back with a meaningful reply. :)

I have the computers plugged into a hub (I live at a Dorm); they can all play LAN video-games together just fine -- so I know the computers can see each other on some level. :)

loddy

loddy

• Pip
  • 1 posts

yet, retry step 2.

I get ot step 7 and it comes up saying "access denied" even though my printer is set up for sharing with everyone on my xp pc. Any ideas?