Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"All" fonts look simular to "wingdings"

• Please log in to reply

thecxbum

thecxbum

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Greets!
Man, am I lost. My Moms PC is Win XP home. I don’t know what she did, but now when you boot up her pc all the icons are in place, but the description below them appear like the wingding type font.
The same appearing font also is at the start menu, and all listing within that.
I know her virus definitions are current, (up to last month anyway.) I also have a firewall setup, which is current.
I am at a lost as why, and how to fix her "font" issue.
I did say appear like wingding. Its just lines, rectangles, and weird objects.
Thanx for any input everybody!

Advertisements

dflo404

dflo404

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Well, this might seem to obvious to be the solution, but have you tried going to the computers appearence settings? Maybe the font was changed to wingdings or something.

thecxbum

thecxbum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
A big part of the problem is that everything is unreadable because it all looks like wingdings, or a screwed up looking font

thecxbum

thecxbum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Well, this might seem to obvious to be the solution, but have you tried going to the computers appearence settings? Maybe the font was changed to wingdings or something.

View Post

I still neeeeed helllppppppppppppp :tazz:
Treid that, but no luck! It is ONLY Microsoft items that are doing it as well. It seems as if other "non-microsoft" products look aok!

;)

;)

katz840

katz840

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am very new to here, and am looking for answers to some of my problems, but....

I have encountered that wing ding font problem before. All the icons and such looked the same, so I clicked what I knew was the start button, moved pointer up to what I was sure was "All Programs". I remembered that "accessories" was my first program listed, so I moved to there. On my computer, the forth program group on "accessories" is "System Tools". Went there and the last option is System Restore, and started it.

My computer was still showing buttons, just not the words on them, so I clicked what I knew was "next". I had to back up a couple days on my calander to get it to come back with "real" letters.

I don't know if this will help you, but I thought I was the only one that had ever happened to. The only reason why I knew where all that was without the benifit of readable text was from all my trials and tribulations in my self-teaching of computers has caused me to visit the wonderful System Restore many many times. :tazz:

Good luck...it would be great if I could help someone after all the wonderful info I have found on this site.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you can also try it this way

Right click the desktop
choose the bottom entry in the context menu (properties)
Choose APPEARANCE tab
Choose ADVANCED button
Scroll through the ITEM dropdown menu
All fonts should be
Tahoma
or
TrebuchetMS

suckaf00

suckaf00

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Does the machine have system mechanic? Last time this happened to me was right after I used the "delete duplicate files" function of system mechanic. I had to restore the files I deleted. Luckily, I had it set to send deleted files to recycle bin, so I could just restore them. I believe the issue is that it deletes a proper reference to the fonts folder or something like that. I dont remember specifically..

thecxbum

thecxbum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Resolved! WooHooo!
What I ended up doing was to go into safe mode - Start - run - Typed "cmd"
Then I entered via command prompt to the %sytemroot%.
I hope that this may too help someone.
Thanx for all your help!
Steve