Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook 2003 default folder

• Please log in to reply

parrothead16

parrothead16

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I have about 40 employees who want to change the folder Outlook 2003 defaults to when saving attachments. The help screens instructs me to make the change in the registry. I'd like to avoid that. Does anyone know an easier way to make Outlook save to a different folder?

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, parrothead16.

It looks like Outlook 2003 tries to save the attachment in the User's My Documents folder. Where do your folks want to save them instead? Are they wanting to change their default My Documents folder?

parrothead16

parrothead16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
They want to set the default to the folder we have set up for them on our server. Instead of C:/My Docs it would be Z:/jdoe. They can get there now with just a couple of clicks, but they'd prefer to go direct there.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Okay, since you don't want to do the registry edit, the easiest way I can think quickly is to redirect My Documents for those users. On each machine, right click My Documents, Properties. Click the "Move" button, then pick the new location.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Okay, since you don't want to do the registry edit, the easiest way I can think quickly is to redirect My Documents for those users. On each machine, right click My Documents, Properties. Click the "Move" button, then pick the new location.

if this is a domain structure...you can also use group policy to force the my documents redirect as well....i do this for all my users because that's where they always decide to save stuff...to My documents...well if their hard drive dies...then so do the documents....so i redirect that folder to their user's drive on a file server...so that the file get's backed up on tape every night...much more secure

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Oohhh, thanks dsenette! Do you know off the top of your head where that setting is in GP?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no but i'll find it...it's pretty easy i know it's a user setting

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
pfftt....easy

user configuration > windows settings> folder redirection > my documents > properties >

then you could either do advanced...which lets you make this setting per user group...just in case each group needs a diff location
or you can do basic...which allows you to make the setting the same for everyone....you can direct the folder to a specific folder (such as \\servername\sharename\%username%)...or to the user's home folder...which would be set in active directory in their user profiles.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
That in Active Directory on a 2003 server?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the GP settings? yeah

parrothead16

parrothead16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thank you both for your suggestions!!

Its going to be a couple of days before I can implement this but the user settings sound like what I was looking for!

Thanks for saving me a couple days worth of running around.

:whistling: :blink: