Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best Heat Dispersion?

• Please log in to reply

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Ok, which disperses heat better in a CPU cooling fan regardless of type, style, or socket? Copper or Aluminum? Iam looking into some cooling options for my computer and am just curious which generally works better if that is the only thing different. For instance, thermal compound, fan type, fan size, fan speed, etc. are all the same but the only difference is that one is may of aluminum and the other is made of copper. Which would you suggest?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well Copper has better thermal conductivity so between two identical coolers the copper one will be better, copper is more expensive and heavier though so you need to balance that out with the need for better cooling and an aluminium could cool better than a copper heatsink because it could be better designed and its lighter weight means it can have more/larger fins thus making it the superior cooler so you really have to read through reviews to see what cooler is superior.

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Well, this is the one I was loking at

http://www.tigerdire...e...0&CatId=795

this and it's copper cousin. This aluminum one is about $13 whereas its copper cousin is $40. Just did not know if it was really all that worth the price difference or if I should go with a different design for a similar price. Like a heatpipe design or something liek that. Still deciding though. Any suggestions?

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
what socket are you running on? i take it you on a 478/754/939/940 ?

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Yeah, I checked to make sure the socket was right. Mine is currently a 478. I am considering some other cooling options also hoping ot maybe find a multi socket fan that I would be able to keep when i eventually move to a socket 775. That is not really an issue though at this moment seeing as it will not be for a while.

Edited by The_Shadow_630, 25 April 2007 - 08:18 AM.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Yeah, I checked to make sure the socket was right. Mine is currently a 478. I am considering some other cooling options also hoping ot maybe find a multi socket fan that I would be able to keep when i eventually move to a socket 775. That is not really an issue though at this moment seeing as it will not be for a while.

socket 478 heatsinks are unfortunatly uncompatible, i have zipties holding a 478 on my 775, i would suggest a SI-120 for your 478, kept my p4 under 30c

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Pretty impresive, especially with a P4 since they are notoriously hot running. Unfortunately, so is mine. What was the speed of that P4? I am just curious becaue no matter what I have done thusfar, I cannot get mine to run any lower than about 42C idling. I know that is not really all that hot, but I am one of those that likes it to be running a s cool as possible within my budget, which is small thus the reason I have not switched to liquid cooling which would be ideal. Anyway, I may very well look into going with a good heatpipe instead of the standard heatsink I have now. Thanks.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116140 the model # is: SL87L
that is the exact cpu, also for my new cpu idleing at 32-35c (now, burn in)
http://processorfind...spx?sSpec=SL7PR

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
That is a very good temp reading, at least as compared to mine anyway. I think it would likely be in my best interests to aim at getting a good heatpipe and fan. Hopefully it will reduce the temp significantly. Also, I think i am going to change the way the fans are set up in my case to help airflow just a bit better which should help as well. I looked them both up (the two heatpipes) and found that the Si-120 is the heavier of the (that vs the 90 model). Everyone was saying it was heavier. I presume you would suggest the 120 model seeing as that is what you use, but any thoughts on the weight factor for each? There was only like a 10g difference between them, so I figured it wold not make that big of a difference. My case is a vertical set-up if that holds any bearing on your suggestions.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

That is a very good temp reading, at least as compared to mine anyway. I think it would likely be in my best interests to aim at getting a good heatpipe and fan. Hopefully it will reduce the temp significantly. Also, I think i am going to change the way the fans are set up in my case to help airflow just a bit better which should help as well. I looked them both up (the two heatpipes) and found that the Si-120 is the heavier of the (that vs the 90 model). Everyone was saying it was heavier. I presume you would suggest the 120 model seeing as that is what you use, but any thoughts on the weight factor for each? There was only like a 10g difference between them, so I figured it wold not make that big of a difference. My case is a vertical set-up if that holds any bearing on your suggestions.

mine is also vertical, also if you want an extra 2-4c use 1000grit sand paper taked to a table and stroke the si-120 , theres copper below them there hills. i used 1000grit then 1000grit wet, then sos pad.

Advertisements

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I have heard about doing that and have thought about it for mine to see how it would affect the temp, if any at all. It has a copper heat sink but aluminum fins. I thouhgt it may affect it some, but nowhere close to as much as replacing it with a good heatpipe would. So you think the weight will not be an issue?

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

I have heard about doing that and have thought about it for mine to see how it would affect the temp, if any at all. It has a copper heat sink but aluminum fins. I thouhgt it may affect it some, but nowhere close to as much as replacing it with a good heatpipe would. So you think the weight will not be an issue?

no, some boards do have a reenforcement brace on the back of the mobo , it wouldnt hurt to have one of them.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The aluminium increases surface area and protects the heat sink and pipes from corrosion i wouldnt advise removing it, it wont do anything for the cooling.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

The aluminium increases surface area and protects the heat sink and pipes from corrosion i wouldnt advise removing it, it wont do anything for the cooling.

im only talking about the liquid coat on the bottom, im going to use a polisher on it soon, since i have my ocmputer appart offen ill keep it clean

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
From what I heard, doing the polishing is not really to remove any layers of metal of any kind. It is just to smooth out the contact point so that there is more contact with the CPU through the thermal grease/gel (I use gel). I was told that smoothing it our to a nice shine and polish simply increases the contact surface area and thus allows for more heat dispersion from the CPU to the heatsink/pipes.

Edited by The_Shadow_630, 27 April 2007 - 08:49 AM.