Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which paramater to Change in the registry.

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

Our coporate office ran a scan of our network and submitted .pdf documents listing the issues and how to repair them.

In this instance, I need to edit the registry of a machine. According to the documentation, I'm to make RestrictAnonymous to 1. Their exact command is: Set RestrictAnonymous =1.

When I pulled up that entry in the registry in the left pane, it's entries in the right pane are broken into four. The first is (Default), a REG_SZ, whose value is blank. The second is DisplayName, a REG_SZ, whose value is Network access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration... The third is DisplayType, a REG_DWORD, whose value is 0x000000000 (0). And the fourth is ValueType, a REG_DWORD, whose value is 0x000000004 (4).

Which one of these entries should I change to make RestricAnonymous = 1?

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

magus

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi magusbuckley!

The value that you would want to change is ValueType. That is the entry that will cause the change to take effect. As you can see it's value right now is 4. Just make sure when you are changing it, that you use the type of Decimal and not Hexidecimal.

Fenor

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Fenor:

Thanks for your help. I made the changes and no complaints yet so I guess everything is working out OK.

One question though, what's the difference in Hexadecimal and Decimal? I tried Hexadecimal to see what the "Value" would change to, but it looked the same in both formats.

Thanks,

Magus

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
They are just two different ways of storing the value for an item. Hexidecimal uses numbers and letters, while decimal uses numbers and a period (.)

Fenor