Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Activation problem after Windows Repair (XP Home)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Radosław Kowalski

Radosław Kowalski

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi!
I have a serious problem with windows activation. After a hardware failure I had to replace my motherboard and my Windows wouldn't boot afterwards (blue screen). I did a windows repair, but it didn't help much. Now it boots.In safe mode it works fine. But after entering normal mode it asks me to log in and then activate. When I answer that I want to activate, it just displays the log in screen again. And I can do nothing, whenever I answer to activate, or not to activate, it always comes back with the log in screen.
Any ideas? Copying back the old wpa.dbl and .bak files didn't work.
Much thanks for help!

Edited by Fenor, 24 April 2007 - 04:14 PM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The last activation was made with the old motherboars. During activation windows registers the main components of the computer and if you change the motherboard windows sees this as an illegitimate installation on another computer because it doesn't recognize it anymore.

Call Microsoft activation center and they will help you with this problem.

Radosław Kowalski

Radosław Kowalski

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

The last activation was made with the old motherboars. During activation windows registers the main components of the computer and if you change the motherboard windows sees this as an illegitimate installation on another computer because it doesn't recognize it anymore.

I understand that another activation is necessary. But it dosesn't allow me to activate, it just comes up with the login screen all the time after I agree to activate.

Call Microsoft activation center and they will help you with this problem.

I wish they did. All they say is that as it's an OEM version, they don't support it and they advice me to buy a retail.
I'm sure there must be some workaround. I know that OEM license is assigned to a single machine, but it still is the same machine, I just replaced the burned motherboard.
I hope somebody went through it already and can give me some working solution ;-)
Thanks for your reply, The Skeptic!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Unfortunately there is really nothing else you, or we, can do to help with your situation. With OEM versions of Windows your hands are always tied by the EULA to use that version of Windows. What you should of done is replace the motherboard with the exact same model, that way you wouldn't have this problem. I know it sucks, has happened to many people, but that is how it works.

Nothing against you, but I am now closing this topic, because I do not want anyone trying to post anything to try and help you bypass the authentication security in place by Microsoft.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 25 April 2007 - 12:13 PM.