Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

okal

okal

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all,

I believe I need to replace my existing HD on my Dell 8600 laptop. I ran Dell's diagnostics and I get error 0F00:0244 "uncorrectable data error or media is write protected." I've gotten this error in the past, but doing the chkdsk /r temporarily fixed the problem. Right now, however, I ran it again and it got to about 75% complete but then it said "the volume has unrecoverable errors" or something like that. While I was running this procedure, the hard drive made some loud clicking sounds (something it did not do the last time I ran this procedure), so I guess it is completely fried now because I tried simply booting into windows and it did not even recognize it.

Now I have an external hard drive and I thought I could run windows off that. So I pulled out my HD from my laptop and formated my external. It copied the files from the CD to the drive and said it would resume with the installation after the computer reboots. But when it tries to reboot, I get a blue screen with this technical info:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7C46640, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I believe I got this same screen when my hard drive failed in the first place, but how can I get this screen (I'm assuming those numbers indicate a HD problem) when I don't have a HD currently in my laptop? I just want to make sure the problem is contained to just my HD instead of the motherboard or something, because if the latter, I think I would just go get a new computer instead. I don't want to order a new HD, realize it didn't fix the problem, and then have to go through the hassle of returning it back and shopping for a new laptop.

Thanks to anyone who can help out, I really appreciate it.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Laptop HDD is on the way out if you see things like "unrecoverable errors" on CHKDSK.
You cannot run Windows off an external drive. You may be able to install the first part on it, but it won't like doing anything afterwards. A Stop 0x7b error can be caused by mass storage detection - aka external hard drives. It can also be caused because Windows has lost access to the drive it was writing to, which would be the case on an external drive.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Laptop HDD is on the way out if you see things like "unrecoverable errors" on CHKDSK.
You cannot run Windows off an external drive. You may be able to install the first part on it, but it won't like doing anything afterwards. A Stop 0x7b error can be caused by mass storage detection - aka external hard drives. It can also be caused because Windows has lost access to the drive it was writing to, which would be the case on an external drive.

you you have any linux live-cd's? if not i can get you a usb copy of windows. it allows you to run windows off of a 128mb flash drive

sorry quoted wrong person

Edited by AnthonyJ, 24 April 2007 - 06:44 PM.

okal

okal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the reply!

I want to make sure that the hard drive I will buy is compatible. Right now I have a Hitachi Travelstar 60GB, 5K80, model: HTS548060M9AT00 using an ATA-6 interface. I'm looking at buying a 40 GB HITACHI Travelstar 5K100 HTS541040G9AT00 using ATA-6, SATA 1.5 GB/s. Will this be okay? I know that is probably a stupid question, but I want to make sure. Thanks.