Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How Can I Create A New "IconCache.db" File?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I was reading "CPU" magazine and there was an article in it about windows tweaks. Basically way's to make your windows xp run faster and more efficiently. I read a specific section in that article and went ahead doing what was written. This was the exact procedure I followed:

Posted Image

Before doing this I copied and pasted the IconCache.db file into a new folder I created on another one of my hard drives the same computer. So basically instead of just going ahead and deleting it from y "C" drive I pasted the file in my "H" drive just in case anything bad happened. Well after doing so I went ahead and deleted the file as written in the above article. But the file was not automatically recreated by win xp. So I restarted my computer in order to see if it would be recreated. When I logged in my password and my pc loaded I noticed the desktop icons were super slow while filling in [about 10x slower than usual]. I waited for all of the icons to fill in and than went into my "my computer" but I had to wait for the "C" drive to appear because all I saw was the searching flashlight which I don't normally see [it took a while for the drives to show in "my computer"]. I went back into the folder I deleted the file from and the IconCache.db was still not recreated. So I freaked out and just pasted the backup file back into the original folder than deleted the backup and restarted my pc [basically leaving it the way it was before I ever did anything].

My questions are:

1. Why did it not recreate itself as the big selling magazine said it would?

2. Was it the fact that I backed up the icon on another drive within the same computer?

3. Why did my icons take long to appear when I deleted the file and restarted my pc?

4. Is my computer screwed up now even though I pasted the icon back?

5. How can I do what the article says I can do to recreate a new IconCache.db successfully? [Since the article way didn't work]

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) Apparently this trick doesn't work under XP Service Pack 2.
2) No.
3) Because its "forgotten" about them and is relearning, to put it bluntly.
4) Probably no more "screwed up" than it was before :whistling:
5) Don't worry about it. Apparently changing the colour depth is all you need to do (right-click Desktop -> Properties -> Settings -> Color Quality) to achieve the same effect.

Edited by Neil Jones, 24 April 2007 - 05:37 PM.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Very good information about changing the screen color depth... Someone told me to do something like that before and said that would recreate the IconCache.db file in Winxp Sp2... Hmm I dunno if I should try it though. Should I backup my IconCache.db file yet again on another drive within the same pc and give it a shot? If you have a computer to try this on please do so.

Edited by superstar, 24 April 2007 - 09:58 PM.