Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AVG Internet Security package

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Can anyone post any information about AVG's Internet Security package?

Currently, I use AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition, ZoneAlarm Firewall Free Edition, and Webroot Spysweeper (paid version). But I'm considering replacing them all by purchasing AVG's whole package (Anti-virus, Anti-Spyware, and Firewall).

Obviously, their Anti-Virus software is well documented as being very good. I've heard that from many people, and have experienced it with their Free version. But can anyone shed some light as to how good AVG's Firewall and Anti-Spyware are? Would they be just as good or better than ZoneAlarm Firewall (Free) and Webroot Spysweeper (paid), respectively?

I'd appreciate any opinions...AVG is curently offering 2 years of service for 3 computers at $100 for all three paid versions, so I am seriously considering it.

Thanks for any advice,
mike.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Recently tested by a computer magazine, the anti-virus component of AVG Internet Security outperformed Norton Antivirus on virus detection by a large margin, but the AVG firewall component was not as bullet-proof as some of the others tested such as ZA. However, that didn't deter me and I am now running AVG Internet Security on my PC -- have been doing so for 2 months without any "nasties" getting through. I'm quite happy with it. One thing that swayed me was the 64Mb RAM it uses, only half the 128Mb used by all the others.. That's an important factor.

Edited by pip22, 26 April 2007 - 01:02 AM.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Pip,

Thanks for the reply!

If you're referring to the PC Magazine article, I read that as well. That's what prompted me to ask about it on here, because they said the Firewall and Anti-Spyware was lacking.

Obviously, you're happy with their Firewall. What are your thoughts about their Anti-Spyware, though?

Thanks for your help,
mike.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Well there are plenty of free spyware detectors available (Adaware, Spybot etc.) and, unlike antivirus, you can have two or three installed at the same time, so whether AVG's spyware detection is hot or not it doesn't bother me. It performs where it matters most. That's good enough for me.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I have and use Adaware and Spybot on occasion. But it was my understanding that the free versions of these software only get spyware off of your computer once it's on there; they don't actively monitor your computer (like an Anti-Virus does for Virii) to stop spyware from getting on there in the first place.

This is the very reason I pay for and use Webroot's Spysweeper...because it will stop most spyware from getting on my computer in the first place. And I wanted to know how AVG's product is in this respect? Does it work well in stopping spyware from getting on the system in the first place? Or does it not even do that and acts only like Adaware and Spybot in that it only takes it off once it's on there?

thanks,
mike.