Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

was 478 now 775

• Please log in to reply

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
first off, im happy i finally got a 775 board, that supports both ddr and ddr2, which im upgrading to ddr2 soon. and way this board has pci express 16x, and agp express. i have a gigabyte nvidia geforce 6600gt agp card that seems to only want to run at 1x, i have updated the card drivers to the newest from gigabyte. that didnt work so i updated to the newest from nvidia still same thing. the board doesnt have and agp drivers on the site.
http://www.ecs.com.t.../...D=1&LanID=9
now for the Q is there an adaptor for a 478 heatsink to fit 775? i think it would be a waste for my si-120 not to get more use. otherwise i have zipties holding it nice and firm as of now :/ i dont trust it though

on another note, i need recommendations for a sata harddrive, i had 2 ide drives, but 1 ide hookup (dvdburner going there)

Edited by AnthonyJ, 24 April 2007 - 06:38 PM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
No there arn't adapters.

Link for the motherboard. Twist ties won't make it sit properly causing very poor transfer of heat. Watch your temps very closely, I'd suggest you don't run your computer cause it may cause damage to your CPU, if anything, don't put it under extreme stress such as gaming.

Hard drive- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148140
It's OEM, so cables won't be included.

James

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
as for the seating of the heatsink, i made sure of the ZIpties holding it nice and even, under load its below 40c, im on a [email protected] and still under 40c (by bios) and ideas other than speedfan? pc wizard reports 18c (i know thats wrong)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
BIOS is the most accurate temp you'll find, it'll beat all the others. Only thing is, your getting information at idle not under load. Just out of curiosity, why did you buy that motherboard? It cannot support Core2duo....you know this correct. Also there would be no advantages of you having DDR2 over DDR, you'll see such small performance gains that it's not worth it.

To find temperatrues do the following, download Everest free edition. Start playing a game for 30minutes to one hours then quickly shut it down and run this program. Once it's up and running click overclock, then scroll down to the bottom and look for Tcpu. Tell me what temperature it states.

James

Edited by james_8970, 26 April 2007 - 11:11 PM.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

BIOS is the most accurate temp you'll find, it'll beat all the others. Only thing is, your getting information at idle not under load. Just out of curiosity, why did you buy that motherboard? It cannot support Core2duo....you know this correct. Also there would be no advantages of you having DDR2 over DDR, you'll see such small performance gains that it's not worth it.

To find temperatrues do the following, download Everest free edition. Start playing a game for 30minutes to one hours then quickly shut it down and run this program. Once it's up and running click overclock, then scroll down to the bottom and look for Tcpu. Tell me what temperature it states.

James

says link not found. also i only paid 5 dollars for the board. also its actually a huge upgrade in my book, everything runs faster, beings as this is my old board i listed on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/...I...p;rd=1&rd=1
this is my newer board
http://www.ecs.com.t.../...D=1&LanID=9
it may not seem like much of an upgrade but everything runs faster which is what i wanted. also going to ddr2 was a improvement. with ddr i could only overclock to 3.01ghz stable, with the ddr2 i can overclock at 3.25ghz stable. but im keeping it at 3.01ghz , also this cpu has hyper threading unlike my other, if i go on the nvidia site and rate my pc for vista under the speed it says "required: 1ghz you have: 3.25ghz, rated at 4.81ghz"

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Report Wizard
Computer ANTHONY-DR2G4BG
Generator Anthony
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2007-04-27
Time 10:21

--------[ Overclock ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU Properties:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4 520J
CPU Alias Prescott
CPU Stepping E0
Engineering Sample No
CPUID CPU Name Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz
CPUID Revision 00000F41h

CPU Speed:
CPU Clock 3011.71 MHz (original: 2800 MHz, overclock: 8%)
CPU Multiplier 14.0x
CPU FSB 215.12 MHz (original: 200 MHz, overclock: 8%)
Memory Bus 215.12 MHz

CPU Cache:
L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions
L1 Data Cache 16 KB
L2 Cache 1 MB (On-Die, ECC, ATC, Full-Speed)

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 63-0100-001131-00101111-062804-GrantsD$915PA1_RELEASE 06/28/04
Motherboard Name Unknown

Chipset Properties:
Motherboard Chipset Intel Grantsdale i915P
Memory Timings 3-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

SPD Memory Modules:
DIMM1: Samsung M3 78T6553BG0-CCC 512 MB DDR2-400 DDR2 SDRAM (5.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz) (4.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz) (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz)

BIOS Properties:
System BIOS Date 06/28/04
Video BIOS Date 09/28/05
DMI BIOS Version 080011

Graphics Processor Properties:
Video Adapter Gigabyte GeForce 6600 GT AGP
GPU Code Name NV43GTAGP (AGP 4x 10DE / 00F1, Rev A2)
GPU Clock 301 MHz
Memory Clock 501 MHz

--------[ Sensor ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type Winbond W83627THF (ISA 290h)
GPU Sensor Type Driver (NV-DRV)

Temperatures:
Motherboard 29 °C (84 °F)
CPU 16 °C (61 °F)
Aux 9 °C (48 °F)
GPU 48 °C (118 °F)

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.38 V
Aux 1.52 V
+3.3 V 3.28 V
+5 V 5.19 V
+12 V 7.36 V
+5 V Standby 5.14 V
VBAT Battery 0.05 V
Debug Info F FF FF FF
Debug Info T 29 16 09
Debug Info V 8E 5F CD C1 73 00 00 (03)

everest is even more off, the bios reports 12v over 12.05 so no worries, cpu temp is over 30 in bios :/

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
lol, ya when I saw your 12v rail, I was like how is that even running. Good to know BIOS stats otherwise. Since two programs have already been so far off, I can only imagine other will be as well. Though I don't really know of any other programs that we could use at this time. Even if these temperatures are correct, I strongly recommend you buy a cooler that'll fit, it's only a matter of time till that thing drops off and takes out whatever is below it.
James

P.S. for whatever reason I seems as if the programs havn't been patched for your motherboard, as it cannot even state the motherboard name.

Edited by james_8970, 27 April 2007 - 11:37 AM.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

lol, ya when I saw your 12v rail, I was like how is that even running. Good to know BIOS stats otherwise. Since two programs have already been so far off, I can only imagine other will be as well. Though I don't really know of any other programs that we could use at this time. Even if these temperatures are correct, I strongly recommend you buy a cooler that'll fit, it's only a matter of time till that thing drops off and takes out whatever is below it.
James

P.S. for whatever reason I seems as if the programs havn't been patched for your motherboard, as it cannot even state the motherboard name.

speed fan does the same :whistling:, but reports the 12v rail as 5.78v

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
BIOS is of course the most accurate temp, as for the rails, under BIOS your computer wouldn't require as much power to run it....which worries me and I really wonder if that PSU is good enough for your build.....Because that's not just a little low, that's really low.
James

Edited by james_8970, 27 April 2007 - 06:51 PM.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
but my video card hasnt complained, on my old psu it complained because the 12v rail was at 11.84v. hasnt complained yet with this one. o yea, pc wizard reports the 12v as 18v

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
God things change from program to program on your computer. As long as your not having any problems I'd leave it alone, after why fix what isn't broken. Besides if it really was 5.78, your computer would have lots of problems, if it'd even run.
James

Edited by james_8970, 27 April 2007 - 07:14 PM.