Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can Anybody Help?

• Please log in to reply

apreciouzruby

apreciouzruby

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
About a year ago, I updated my generic computer to Windows XP. Every since then I have been having problems. First, my sound would go in and out, and now the computer constantly reboots. It just shuts itself off and reboot. I went in and unchecked the automatic reboot and I got a blue screen with these numbers:

0X0000007E (0X80000004, 0XF9E779E5, 0XFA2C315C, 0XFA2C2E58)

Acpi.Sys - Adress F9E779E5 base at F9E5D000, date stamp 41107d27

Can anybody help me? I'd like to know what the codes mean, and if possible how to correct the situation.

My computer information is:
Microsoft Windows XP professional
5.12600 service pack 2 build

manufactured: ECS K7som+ type X86- based pc

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Maybe ????

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182

apreciouzruby

apreciouzruby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok, I've perused the link. Can somebody give me some directions on how to update my BIOS? :whistling:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Read this article to the end. There are other things that you can do before trying BIOS update. This can be a dangerous process and if fails you may have to replace the motherboard. besides, looking at the specs of this computer I am quite sure it supports windows XP. It might be that you have some hardware that needs updated drivers. Check if the applications that you use are supported by XP. Many old, dos-based programs cannot run on xp.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Did you update your chipset, sound and video drivers when you updated to XP? The default one's that are installed by Windows during the install of XP are garbage and usually cause more problems then help. Unfortunately it looks like ECS doesn't have drivers for XP for your motherboard. Your best bet would be to go to their website HERE and contact them and ask where you can get the XP drivers for that motherboard. If they don't have any drivers, or say that the ones installed by Windows XP during installation, then you will have to start taking out hardware until you find the piece of hardware that is causing the problem.

Good luck! :whistling:

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 25 April 2007 - 12:25 PM.

apreciouzruby

apreciouzruby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Thanks for the advice. I did check to see if I was having driver conflicts and I didn't see where there was a yellow exclamation point. And when I first updated I did download drivers from the company website. I don't recall whether or not they were from XP. Should I go in and delete all the drivers and then download them again? and in the process, is there a way I can keep from re-booting while I'm downloading the drivers? I do have the drivers saved in a file on the computer, so do I need to start there?

Also I noticed my printer was acting up within the drama, could the printer be the issue as well?

Bruinaholic

Bruinaholic

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Be careful that you don't delete your nic drivers unless you have them some place near by otherwise no net access.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I'm thinking that the reboot problem might be a failing power supply or a heat issue. Take off both sides and aim a fan at it. If the reboot problem goes away, it's a heat issue. I use a power supply tester for psu problems.

http://www.frozencpu...r...=10&go.y=14

On the blue screen what does it say before the numbers?

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
disregard my above post for now....

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
TRy the following, one at a time to see if there is any difference:

1: Try to run the computer in safe mode with networking. Enter ECS site and download again all the drivers that are needed for the motherboard. Do the same with drivers to external devices. When you enter a manufactuter's site you usually get a number of drivers to each function, each for a different operating system. Make sure that drivers you download are for xp 32 bit (assuming this is your xp type).

2: If still no good enter BIOS and set it to defult values. (some manufacturer's term it Fail Safe or something of this nature). Save the changes and reboot.

3: It happens sometimes, especially with old systems, that the hardware fails during the installation of xp. If it was in a marginal state this happens sometimes causing great embarasment to the technician facing the customer. To check the hardware download BUrnInTest (link in my signature). It's a trial version for 30 days. Run the test for 15 minutes (it won't allow for more in the trial version) and report the results. For the test insert cds into the drives and a floppy disk if you have a floppy drive.

4: If still no good do what Fenor suggested. disconnect all peripherial equipment (printer, camera, usb devices, external storage devices, everything) and see if the computer stabilize. If it doen's start reconnecting one at a time to pin-point where the problem comes from.

Please report what operating system was running on the computer before xp. Also, like I wrote before, make sure that your applications are xp compatible.

Advertisements

apreciouzruby

apreciouzruby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thank you so much! I will start working on it. Before I upgraded to XP prof. I had Windows 98. Skeptic....... I have no idea how to enter BIOS and set default Values. I know a little bit, but not nearly that advanced.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
How to enter BIOS:

Start the computer and immediately start tapping DEL key until BIOS tables show up. In many computers you have to tap F2 instead of DEL. If both don't work then start the computer and immediately, when you see the first screen, press PAUSE. to freeze the screen. There you will see what key to use.

apreciouzruby

apreciouzruby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Skeptic, I think the computer is laughing at me! I was able to log into safe mode and try to download the drivers, but it reboots before I do. I tried to download from your link and it reboots before I can do it. Its like the rebooting is triggered by downloading among other things. Also I tried going into bios and the screen that came up froze, I was unable to do anything......... I detached all items connected to the computer, but when I try to uninstall, it reboots.......

Any suggestions?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts

About a year ago, I updated my generic computer to Windows XP.

What do you mean by "upgraded". Was it a full reformat and installation of xp or was it an upgrade from 98 to xp?

apreciouzruby

apreciouzruby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
It was an upgrade...... He put a disk into the computer and Win 98 was replaced by XP, all my files on the computer were deleted from the c drive. I then went online to download drivers after because after the upgrade I didnt have sound. Every since then my sound would go in and out even after the download of the drivers. But I never had the reboot issue until now.

I was able to uninstall my printer, all except for one part that refuses to uninstall. I went into Safe mode and I didnt reboot. But when I tried to enter safe mode with networking I had problems. It would not enter. I detached the Hi-speed internet and left the computer on to see what would happen and it stayed on for 30 minutes before rebooting. The most time I have been able to stay on in the past is 5 minutes.

I also detached the camera, but I didnt uninstall it.