Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can Anybody Help?

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Lets go to basics. Please do the following: (For downloads use links in my signature).

1: Click Start > run. Type msconfig. Choose selective startup. Go to the "startup" tab and
uncheck everything which is not essential to run in the background. Leave only antimalware programs running. (if you change your mind latter you can reactivate those programs). Confirm and reboot. Upon ebooting you will see a message that should be checked.

2: Download and run ccleaner. Run the "cleaner" and "issues" options a number of times until
nothing is left to be cleaned. Use the backup option (in "issues") when prompted to do so.

3: Run a thorough scan with updated antimalware programs. Use Spybot Search and Destroy, AVG Anti-Spyware and Adaware SE. Run your Antivirus. Run full system scans (all files), preferably in safe mode. Run the programs one at a time,

4: Run disk defragmantation. Click start > all programs > accessories > system tools > disk
defragmenter.

5: Download and run PageDefrag. This program defrags syatem and page files which are not
defragged by other means. Set it to work upon next boot and reboot.

6: Press ctr+alt+del to enter task manager. Under Performance tab look for "physical memory". Please report Total and Available.

7: Enter "My Computer", right-click drive C: > properties. Please report Capacity and Free Space of your hard disk.

8: Download Everest and runit. Go to Computer > Sensor. Wait few seconds until the table fills up. Please report temperatutes of cpu, HD and motherboard.

It may be easier for you to use another computer for the downloads. Make sure the heatsink on the cpu is clean of clogged dust and all fans running. If you need to clean the heatsink please use a thin brush.

Advertisements

apreciouzruby

apreciouzruby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Could it be the drivers I initially downloaded need to be updated? I found this link.

http://www.ecsusa.co...rivers_vga.html

Do I need to go through and download the drivers that have XP?

apreciouzruby

apreciouzruby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
ok, well scratch the last reply......you beat me to the post!

Bruinaholic

Bruinaholic

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
apreciouzruby, Are you glad I sent you to this site for help instead of that other one you were using. GTG is so much better.

apreciouzruby

apreciouzruby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Yes, Thank you Bruin......

apreciouzruby

apreciouzruby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok Skeptic this is what I have,

I was able to download all the programs, However, they take so long to run until I cant stay booted long enough to complete them. When they are running they are not giving any issues.....

I was able to run the ccleaner tho, so that worked out fine

I tried to defragment but the computer said I didnt need it. This is the numbers it gave me, 38.34 GB capacity and 31.72 free space...82%

I then went into the task manager and it gave me

Physical K............. 228848
available................35464 But it was rapidly changing.....1 minute later it was 56000
then I checked it 7 minutes or so later and it was at 103660

I downloaded the temps and I got: motherboard ECS K7SEM/K7SOM
motherboard 40 c 104F
CPU 80c 176f
Aux 21c 70f
FBM 40c 104F

Cppu 5273 RPM

As Im typing the message, Im watching Physical memory the available is steady increasing. Could it be that it reaches the maximum capacity and then reboots?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The cpu is awfully hot and you must cool it down before anything else. It seems that the computer reboots to protect the cpu from even more heating. Let's hope no permanenet damage was done.

Memory is OK, disk is OK. Don't worry about anything at the moment except for cooling the cpu. Have you opened the box and cleaned the heatsink like I asked? Have you checked that all the fans run freely and the air intakes are not clogged by dust? If not, please do this and check temperatures again.

If all looks clean and the cpu is still hot then you will have to remove the heatsink and carefully clean it's bottom and the top of the cpu on which the heasink sits. The surfaces must be perfectly clean. Avoid scraching them while cleaning. Don't try to pull out the cpu because in your computer it's soldered to the motherboard.

Go to an eletronic supply shop and buy a small tube of a good quality thermal paste. Paste a very thin layer on each of the cleaned surfaces and install the heatsink. Run the computer and run one of the spyware programs at. After about 10 minutes of running the computer please report again temperatures and voltages.

apreciouzruby

apreciouzruby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I did open by removing one panel. I cleaned out all the dust I could find and I took a hair dryer and set it on cool and blew all around it. I saw 2 fans and I cleaned both of them and the heat sink did not look dirty or clogged. I'll work on the cleaning under the heat sink.

apreciouzruby

apreciouzruby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
ok, I let the computer sit all night to cool. I just booted up......here is the report

MB 30c 86f
cpu 64c 147f
aux 34c 99f
FBM 30c 86f

I vacummed the fans and made sure all the intake holes were clear, vaccummed the dust from around the board and heat sink, used a soft q-tip to clean around the heatsink. and I now have a fan blowing on the computer.

in the event this does not work, how do I get a soldered heatsink of the board? a desolderer? I havent seen one of them in years....

apreciouzruby

apreciouzruby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ten Minutes later.........

MB 34c 95f
cpu fluctuating...73 back to 68c then 65
aux 50c flucutating back to 48c
IBM 33c

cpu core 1.65v
2.5v 2.46v
3.3v 3.07v
5v 4.95v
12v 12.29v
5v standby 5.00v
vbat 2.03v

Edited by apreciouzruby, 28 April 2007 - 09:41 AM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Voltages OK. CPU temperature very bad. Like I said, you cannot, nor do you need to, remove the cpu but you can, and have, to remove the heatsink with the fan. There are many different installations on computers of different age and cpu designs. Try to understand the mechanism and uninstall so that you can clean the surfaces and apply the thermal paste. If this step doesn't help then you may have a serious problem indeed.

apreciouzruby

apreciouzruby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
ok, like you stated earlier the heatsink is soldered on. I can see where the fan connects, and may be able to disconnect that portion, but with the heat sink being soldered on, how do I get around it?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I have never seen a heatsink which is not removable (but of course there is always a first time). Maybe you have to remove the fan first. Please try again.

If you can't remove the heatsink and apply the thermal paste or if you succed and the temperature remains that high I am afraid that you will have to replace the motherboard and cpu. In other words repairing this computer will probably be not worthwhile.

apreciouzruby

apreciouzruby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
ok, before I attempt a breakdown of the computer again..........I went to get thermal paste, and there were 3 kinds

silicon, silver, and ceramique............ I got the ceramic one since it was in the middle price wise.......is that ok or do I need one of the others?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The one that you bought is OK.