Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can Anybody Help?

• Please log in to reply

apreciouzruby

apreciouzruby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Welp Skeptic, I took the computer apart and found out the heat sink was glued to the CPU chip. I cleaned the heatsink and the top of the CPU, left the glue in tack as not to damage the CPU chip; applied thin layer of the paste. When I put it back together the computer did not boot up. Instead I got something that sound like a soft whistle and the computer did not boot up. I took it apart again thinking maybe I used too much paste, and checked it and cleaned it off again, and used even less paste then before, still did not boot up? Did I do something wrong, or do I just need to make funeral arrangements?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The whistle sound that you hear is a warning sign that something is wrong with the cpu, most probably serious overheating.

Quote: "I cleaned the heatsink and the top of the CPU, left the glue in tack as not to damage the CPU chip; applied thin layer of the paste"

The glue that mentioned, where was it, between the heatsink and the cpu? What do you mean by saying that you cleaned the surfaces but left the glue? How was the heatsink attached to the mother board, what mechanism hold it in place? What did you do to temove it? Did you force it out?

Please give me more details.

apreciouzruby

apreciouzruby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Well, I took the motherboard and layed it flat, the fan is attached to the heatsink and the heatsink attached to the cpu. There is like a metal bar that runs across the heatsink and locks on both sides with screws. I unscrewed the screws and then lightly tugged the heatsink and it popped off. underneath, there was surface mount pieces on top of the CPU, and on the heatsink was some white paste, the paste did not cover the entire cpu, just the surface mount pieces. I cleaned off all the old paste. and then applied the new paste, a very thin layer on the heatsink and just a little around the outskirts of the CPU chip. I left the glue in tact. I'm assuming its glue because when I cleaned the other paste, it did not come off. it looks like medium sized. dots on each middle section of the CPU. There is also, black dots that look like maybe padding on the CPU. I didnt mess with those either. Should I have not cleaned the old paste? Maybe, the paste I put on is not thick enough?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Now I understand better. What you saw is most probably the remains of the old thermal pad. New heatsinks come with thermal pads attached to their bottoms doing the same job as the thermal paste. They consist of two thin layers of aluminium foil with thick thermal paste between them. When you take the heatsink off you must peel off the aluminium foil from the top of the cpu and the bottom of the heatsink. You must have flat, clean surfaces. Carefully use a sharp, flat edged knife to peel the foil and clean the surfaces. (I don't know what you call these knives in English bt I use for this purpose the blade of those cheap plastic knives with replaceable blades, used for cutting cardboard etc. You can find them in any toolbox).

After the surfaces are cleaned apply to each a very thin layer of the paste that you bought and reinstall the heatsink making sure it sits flat on the cpu.

Install the board in the box. Do not overtight the screws and make sure there are no electric shortages between the box and the board.

apreciouzruby

apreciouzruby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok, I checked and I didnt see any aluminum foil. but I removed what looked like the glue and the black dots that looked like padding. What ever it was it, it was caked on there pretty hard. Both parts were flat and clean. Then I applied the paste. thin layer on both. put it back together and pushed the button. once again I got the whistle. It started whistling 1 second if that much after I pushed the button. So I just cut off the power to it. I made sure not to mess with anything else. Could that mean the CPU chip is dead or dying?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you cleaned the surfaces and reinstalled the fan properly, and if you made sure there are no electric shortages then yes. I am afraid that the cpu is finished and you have to relace the motherboard with the cpu.

apreciouzruby

apreciouzruby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Well, Thank you so much for all of your imput.......It was much appreciated!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Sorry for not being able to solve the problem.