Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Satellite Internet and the FAP (Fair Access Policy) Joke!

• Please log in to reply

moondog830

moondog830

• PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Here's the deal. I have Satellite Internet through Hughes Net and they have what is called the Fair Access Policy (FAP). I am supposed to be able to download a WHOPPING 375mb a day. If this happens then I am subject to FAP. When that happens I am shut down to 10 kbps to 15 kbps instead of the UP TO 1.5 mbps I'm supposed to get.

I have a Satellite Modem (not sure if the model is important) and a LinkSys Cable DSL Router (NOT WIRELESS). At times when I have only had my e-mail program running I have (according to the HughesNet Usage page) downloaded 243MB to 394MB in 1 hour thus making me subject to FAP. I have NOT downloaded any files separate or in combination to add up to that amount.

What the Advanced Support People at HughesNet tell me is that someone is "stealing" through my router. IS THIS POSSIBLE? I have NOTHING that is wireless in my house. So how could someone be taking from me or accessing my system to do this?

PLEASE HELP ME ..... at the very least, help me prove that HughesNet is screwing me over so I can do something about it. I work out of my house and don't have Cable as an option and not being able to do research and such is killing me.

You guys at Geeks To Go have always done me good, so I'll thank you all in advance.

If you need any more information, ask away.

dog

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello moondog830 and welcome to G2G,

I monitor my bandwidth usage by using a program called Ethereal located here. When running, this gives me the total upload and download usage by each pc on my network (and what they are doing), and the total upload and download usage by the modem. It can be a complicated program but there are many tutorials on how to use it located here, where i was able to figure it out.

Ethereal is the only free program i know of that can do this, but maybee someone else will come along and offer a better idea.