Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wired Networking Help

• Please log in to reply

Vision

Vision

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Well I come here again to obtain some knowledge on Wired internet.

I have a wireless router now and not pleased with wireless and would like to switch to Wired if possible. Im kinda confused on how Wired networking works exactly and I was wondering if I could use the second ethernet line on my modem (One input for main computer and one input for mine) since there is two lines and reads on modem Line 1 and Line 2, I was wondering if that would work instead of getting a Wired router? Or is the wired router mandatory? If so then couldnt I just drill a hole from my bedroom, slipping a ethernet cord up to the modem?
Im still a bit confused and I need help ASAP since im down internet and its kinda a need to me.

EDIT: And with wired does it like give you half connection speed? like half for one line and half for the other? or is it full for both lines (100mbps - connection speed I want)

Please enlighten me on wired networking.

Thank you.

Edited by Vision, 24 April 2007 - 07:58 PM.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
You need a wired router, no question about it. Land lines are more reliable and secure then wireless. A modem does not have the capability to route traffic and hand out IP addresses to PC's. Those 2 lines in the modem are for VoIP phones.

You can use the wireless router as a wired router, it can be either or. Simply plug the ethernet cable from the modem to the Internet port on the router and plug in your PC's to any one of the routers ports.

As far as speed, as long as your cards are set to auto negotation, which they will be unless you change it, will be running at 100mbps full duplex.

Vision

Vision

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Well I know the ethernet cord from thw wireless router is hooked up to the computer itself and the ethernet cord from the modem is just used for internet on my moms laptop because she has to send work to work lol. So your saying I should just run a ethernet cord right up to the wireless router and plug it into the back getting 100mbps full duplex?

It looks like a cable cord is connecting to two (modem and router)

Thank you for the assistance Cilix!

Edited by Vision, 25 April 2007 - 05:34 AM.

Vision

Vision

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Its not working at all....

Could it be the ethernet cord I used was a Cat6? Please help me.