Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will not shut down, Windows explorer error, can't restore

• Please log in to reply

twk49

twk49

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you in advance for any help.

My daugthers comp got real slow and started to do wierd things.

When you go to shut it down by clicking on Start then click turn off computer after a minute or so it comes up with the message box that Windows Explorer has incountered an error and needs to shut down. It dosen't matter if you click send or don't send the report the box will disappear and the icons and tool bar also disappear but you have not got to the screen to select to turn off or reboot or log off yet. Then the icons and tool bar reappear and eveything is running but you still have the same problem, wont shut down.

I tried to restore and after I pick a date and start the restore it just stops. You can back up but it just doesn't do the restore.

Some times the tool bar changes from xp style to 98 style if you try to do a virus scan.

Norton 2003 would not work to start with. I uninstalled and reinstalled but not all of the live update will installe and it has found no virus when I scaned.

I installed norton works and that didn't help.

I shut it off by unpluging it. When I plug it in it starts as normal and it doesn't even want to do a disk scan even though I unpluged it when it was running.

I thought it might be a virus or somthing like that and tried everything in your "You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log" and it only found a few cookies.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you have xp installation cd insert it into the cd drive and click Start > run. Type sfc /scannow and OK. A dialog box with a progressing bar will show up. It will disappear without notice when the process ends.

twk49

twk49

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
:whistling:
THANK YOU

This did the trick Thanks Skeptic

Work just as you said thanks again.
:blink:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic