Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless network help

• Please log in to reply

jwhisky09

jwhisky09

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a minor problem with my laptop. i am using a iBook running mac OS X. Up until about a week ago everything was working just fine. Heres the problem. When i restart my laptop everything opens properly and the network is running fine, however when i close my laptop, then re-open it it loses all connections with the network. My status bar goes away and internet connect doesnt pick anything up at all. When i do a search for my network it shows that there is an error but wont say what the problem is. It is really a pain cause i have to restart everytime i want to connnect.
I am using a d-link DI-524 router. not sure how this problem came about but my other laptop is working just fine.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
thank you

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
This is purely a guess, I have never touched mac os X. Is there a power saving feature that will disable the NIC when the laptop is closed, or maybe a hibernate type thing. These may cause problems reconnecting.

jwhisky09

jwhisky09

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

This is purely a guess, I have never touched mac os X. Is there a power saving feature that will disable the NIC when the laptop is closed, or maybe a hibernate type thing. These may cause problems reconnecting.

no i checked those features and saw nothing about shutting down the network. I updated my computer a week ago and it did some security updates, could those have probably had anything to do.
The only other info that i have is that it...
- shows airport is on but not connected to a network
-says base station is not available
there was something else about the ip address to network not being able to connect at this time

its being strange, no idea what caused this

ty

jwhisky09

jwhisky09

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
well now everything is working ok , the past 3 times ive closed/opened laptop it has worked.
I would still like to know what went on though