Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC Wont Boot Up Properly

• Please log in to reply

Snaggle

Snaggle

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay, I read a thread similar to this elsewhere on the forums, it was all going well until the soloutions being provided wern't working with me. So I made a new topic instead of hijacking that one.

Okay, in as much detail as I possibly can, here is my problem...

My OS
Windows XP Media Center Edition

The Problem
Last night I was happily playing Battlefield on my PC when a faulty applience in our kitchen caused a fuse to blow, the PC switched off. We restored power and I turned my PC on. When I turned it on, windows asked me to choose if I wanted to start normally, in safe mode etc. I picked normal, it showed the screen with the Windows logo and the scrolling bar, as it gets to the login screen a blue error flashes up (too quick to read) and my PC reboots. If I leave it without touching, it will just go on one big cycle.

Steps I have Taken
I have tried the following...
  • Safe Mode
  • Safe Mode With Command
  • Safe Mode With Networking
  • Last Known Configurations That Worked
  • Recovery*
  • Boot From XP CD*
All these methods have produced the same results, except the last 2 which are explained below...

*Recovery did run, but displayed an error after a short while which said..
Stop: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The windows login process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000080
(0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shutdown

*It booted from the PC but displayed an error message, it showed up too quick to write down but I caught keywords like Fatal Error, Scan for viruses

Summary
I'm screwed. I can't get onto any user, I can't reset to factory settings, I can't install a clean install.

Thanks for reading my long post. Hope you can help me :whistling:

Edited by Snaggle, 25 April 2007 - 01:12 PM.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
This looks like permissions on the system were messed up during the sloppy shut down.

This article http://support.micro...kb/883275/en-us talks about it. Its title is the error happens after making permission changes, although you did not make them yourself, I do believe this is what happened.

There is one solution in there for XP that may work for you. This is a tricky error though.

Is there a way to use a second machine to recover files, then format this one?

Snaggle

Snaggle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
That didn't work. Thanks for trying though :whistling:

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Stop error c000021a is fatal.

This occurs when Windows switches into kernel mode and a user-mode subsystem, such as Winlogon or the Client Server Runtime Subsystem (CSRSS), is compromised and security can no longer be guaranteed. Because Win XP canít run without Winlogon or CSRSS, this is one of the few situations where the failure of a user-mode service can cause the system to stop responding. This Stop message also can occur when the computer is restarted after a system administrator has modified permissions so that the SYSTEM account no longer has adequate permissions to access system files and folders.

This problem can also be caused by Norton Goback.

In severe cases the abrupt shutdown may have corrupted the Windows installation. You can try a Windows Repair for a short-term fix, but you'll probably find as soon as you apply any updates from Windows Updates, you'll get the same message again. If this is the case, the installation of XP is basically shot and a new fresh install would be required.

Snaggle

Snaggle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Stop error c000021a is fatal.

This occurs when Windows switches into kernel mode and a user-mode subsystem, such as Winlogon or the Client Server Runtime Subsystem (CSRSS), is compromised and security can no longer be guaranteed. Because Win XP canít run without Winlogon or CSRSS, this is one of the few situations where the failure of a user-mode service can cause the system to stop responding. This Stop message also can occur when the computer is restarted after a system administrator has modified permissions so that the SYSTEM account no longer has adequate permissions to access system files and folders.

This problem can also be caused by Norton Goback.

In severe cases the abrupt shutdown may have corrupted the Windows installation. You can try a Windows Repair for a short-term fix, but you'll probably find as soon as you apply any updates from Windows Updates, you'll get the same message again. If this is the case, the installation of XP is basically shot and a new fresh install would be required.

Like I said, I already tried a new install. But I get an error message once it finishes unpacking the CD. Thanks though.