Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing NTOSKRNL.EXE

• Please log in to reply

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Last week, I installed some Windows updates, then shutdown my computer for the night. When I turned it on the next day, I recieved the following error message:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Please re-install a copy of the above file."

I tried copying it from a Windows install CD, no luck. I ran chkdsk several times, still nothing. I tried to do a repair installation, but when the installer tried to reboot, all I got was a black screen.

Any ideas on what could cause this and how I could fix it?

Advertisements

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
Try this....

http://www.computerh...es/ch000646.htm

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I actually found that site earlier when I was trying to fix it, and according to it, all that remains is misc. corruption or a bad hard disk, which I don't believe to be the case.

Edited by Tyler5690, 25 April 2007 - 02:42 PM.

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
I suppose it could be malware related.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
If I may jump in....

Tyler5690, of that list of troubleshooting suggestions in the article provided by jwinathome, which of those did you attempt and what were the outcomes?

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Okay, here it is:

1. Keyboard issue - tried two keyboards, no change
2. Miscellaneous corruption - ran chkdsk 3 times
3. Corrupt boot.ini file. - did not check
4. Missing boot.ini file. - did not chek
5. Missing or corrupt ntoskrnl.exe file. - replaced with file from install CD
6. Windows NT installed on a partition bigger then 7.8GB - WinXP, so N/A
7. Corrupted hard disk drive or severely corrupted Windows. - was working perfectly until Windows update. Could be coincidence, but I'm pretty sure the disk is okay, its only 2 years old.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Did you boot using "Last Known Good Configuraton" as suggested for Miscellaneous Corruption? I believe the article's author's intent is software corruption, not hardware.

Please also check the boot.ini files.

You could also try restoring your system to a date prior to installing the updates.

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I did try a "Last Known Good configuration" and it just hung. How would I check the boot.ini file? Also, as I said in my original post, I tried to do a repair installation, but when the installer rebooted, it just hung and would not complete.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I apologize for not making myself clear. I meant, do the steps outlined in the article jwinathome provided for rebuilding the boot.ini file.

System Restore is not the same thing as a Repair Install of Windows. Exactly which did you do?

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Both. After the system restore failed to do anything, I started a repair installation.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
1. Are the two keyboards you tried PS2 or USB? If both PS2, try a USB.

2. What errors, if any, did you get during the System Restore. Did you try multiple dates?

3. What errors did you get during the Repair Install? At what point did you get them? Be as specific as possible.

4. When you ran CHKDSK, did it fix any errors?

5. Please confirm that you replaced the ntoskrnl.exe file from your Windows CD successfully.

I'd highly recommend backing up all your data, just in case you need to format and install Windows fresh.

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
1. One keyboard was PS/2, the other was USB
2. After the system restore, the computer would just go to a black screen after the BIOS boot screen; no errors, but not a success. Did try multiple dates.
3. The repair appeared to be going successfully, but when the installer rebooted the computer, I got the black screen - no errors, just nothing.
4. The first time CHKDSK ran, it found errors but said it corrected them. The succeeding 2 CHKDSKs did not find errors.
5. I replaced the ntoskrnl.exe file once using a Winternals ERD Commander disc, and twice using different Windows intall discs, each time with no success

I do have the data backed up, and will do a clean install if it cannot be avoided, but I was hoping there would be another option.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Will that computer boot at this point?

If not, I'd say it's time to format and install Windows clean. Be sure to gather all the disks you'll need, OS, Drivers, other software.

If you need specific instructions on doing a clean install, here's a good link, complete with screen shots.