Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quick Books Mandatory Upgrade ILLEGAL

• Please log in to reply

Sue Bee

Sue Bee

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi: As a small business owner, I coughed up several hundred bucks for Quick Books Pro 2004. Works fiine for me.

Howver, I was just noticed by Quick Books that several of the functions inherent in the software (not extras I had signed up for) such as my ability to email invoices to my customers (through my OWN email server, not by emailing through QB) will be discontinued May 1st unless I pay approx. $200 extra. Similarly, though i pay my Bank 17.00 a month for online banking, QB will block my ability to let the preexisting software capability to communicate with my online banking service.

Yes, I know - Intuit is a huge giant, but I'm really disturbed by this - it seems like a major ripoff. Rather than wasting my time trying to argue Intuit about it, I'd like to report Intuit to a consumer or software watch-dog group. Is there such a thing?

Is anyone else experiencing this frustration?

Advertisements

binsch

binsch

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
I am not so sure of any software watch-dog group but i do know that http://www.dotherightthing.com may possibly be your solution. Check it out.
- ben

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
That website appears to be some eco-geek kinda place. Not necessarily what Sue is looking for.

Sue, the best thing you can do is check the information that came with your software. If it doesn't say anything in there about this, call and threaten to sue (no pun intended). Because they don't like you using the old software does not give them the right to break the contract that they wrote.

There are a ton of places you can go to for help with this, the first that comes to mind is the BBB. Even if they cant help you with this, they will know where to send you.

Sue Bee

Sue Bee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks to both of you (ScHwErV and binsch). I did both - I filed a BBB complaint and added a story about Intuit on Dotherightthing.com (though it's not showing up yet).

Thanks!

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
Is there an alternative to Intuit that you can use?

They are getting a lot of complaints about this, and losing a lot of their customer base, from what I have read and heard.

Sue Bee

Sue Bee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I suppose I could use another program, but that's just the point - I don't want to spend more money. The software is still working well for me (unless they block the elements on May 1st).

Good to know others are voicing their concerns.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Also, you could move to another software, but QuickBooks is the standard.

Switching doesn't also solve the problem that what they are doing is just plain wrong.