Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No start bar or desktop icons on login

• Please log in to reply

Otieno

Otieno

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi

When i login to My PC:
Windows XP Home SP2
1024mb ram
3.2ghz Pent. 4 HT
160Gb hd
256mb Radeon x600

i get no start bar, no start button and no desktop icons. The background picture appears however. I can ctrl, alt, delete and task manager comes up fine. Explorer.exe is running. When i click File...New task... i can run anything (including media player etc...) and soon after that everything will reapear and the pc will run as normal. But only if i run a task.
HELP! its infuriating having to run a task on startup everytime!
Thanks
Otieno

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you click file, new task, type explorer.exe then press enter, do you get the desktop, if yes, restart the PC and see if it loads properly

If not, click file, new task, type sfc /scannow (with the space) then press enter

Otieno

Otieno

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
NOpe, doesnt work i am afraid, altho if i run a normal process like MSN Live Messanger the it loads or if i leave it for about 2 mins the rest of the stuff loads to. Could this be a Norton Internet security problem? i read a few things that said it could be? if it is is nod32 anygood?
cheers
laurie

Edited by Otieno, 26 April 2007 - 11:42 AM.

Otieno

Otieno

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
sorry to reply again so fast but whadoya know....i removed norotn and am using NOD32 and it doesnt do it anymore n my PC is faster for it! lol Norton obv sucks! cheers anyway matey!
laurie

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
:whistling:

Thank You for letting me know