Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Crashing and failing to boot

• Please log in to reply

fiv5

fiv5

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey guys, my computer recently has failed to boot many times, it only boots after i try many MANY times, and now it just got worst after successfully booting my computer and im doing something like playing a game or talking to friends etc. my computer restarts without warning. I first thought it was just dust in my tower so i vacuumed everything that didnt solve anything, so now I absolutely have no clue what is wrong any help?

I run on Windows XP home edition and i have a boot program so i can access my different partitions (maybe the cause to the failure to boot?). If i need to post a hijackthislog or anything just post something saying so thanks.

Edited by fiv5, 25 April 2007 - 06:07 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop

If there is no improvement

Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

fiv5

fiv5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks i will try to do all the things listed i'll post again if it helped

fiv5

fiv5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i think i found the problem to the restarts, i got the program speedfan and my temperatures a fine except one which is at 72C which is ridiculos and also it says one of my fans are not running so this is what i think is wrong so im going to try to get it fixed asap