Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LOUD CPU heatsink fan... What to change?

• Please log in to reply

kr580

kr580

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
My CPU fan is REALLY loud and I'm looking to make it as quiet as possible. I was hoping to get some opinions of what I should do.

I have a P4 3.0GHz processor and I have the basic Intel heatsink/fan/compound that came with the processor. The CPU temp is about 40 - 45 idle and up to 60 on full load. Once it hits full load it never seems to cool down. At the moment I've just had Firefox open and it's gotten up to 55 and it's been there for an hour. The CPU fan kicks in to almost 3000RPM and it's howlin.

What should I do? Is it something as simple as switching the thermal grease or should I try to find a better heatsink? I'm open to anything because I can't take another summer of a lawnmower in my room. :blink:

Thanks in advance - Kevin :whistling:

Advertisements

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
your going to need another heatsink if you want it quieter and cooler. the stock coolers suck