Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Excel icon with hyperlink...need text

• Please log in to reply

lnijjar

lnijjar

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
I truly hope I don't make this more confusing by trying to explain this.

Here are the cells I have.. where the "help" smiley is ...there is an Envelope with an Email hyperlink in that cell. Yes I can just click on it and pull up an email. However...I have over 200 of these. I want to "see" the email so that I may cut and paste the entire email list -and make an email group... I've tried to format another cell - to pull the hyperlink from that envelope-but that failed. I'm thinking it's some type of macro even..but I'm clueless on those as well. HELP!

John Doe S8812 Crew Member :whistling:

Edited by lnijjar, 25 April 2007 - 10:07 PM.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi Inijjar.

If I understand, you want to remove the hyperlink from the email addresses, leaving just the text.

I'm pasting the Help information from Excel 2003. 1. Type the number 1 in a blank cell, and right-click the cell.
2. Click Copy on the shortcut menu.
3. While pressing CTRL, select each hyperlink (hyperlink: Colored and underlined text or a graphic that you click to go to a file, a location in a file, a Web page on the World Wide Web, or a Web page on an intranet. Hyperlinks can also go to newsgroups and to Gopher, Telnet, and FTP sites.) you want to deactivate.
4. To select a cell that has a hyperlink (hyperlink: Colored and underlined text or a graphic that you click to go to a file, a location in a file, a Web page on the World Wide Web, or a Web page on an intranet. Hyperlinks can also go to newsgroups and to Gopher, Telnet, and FTP sites.) in it without jumping to the hyperlink destination, click the cell and hold the mouse button until the cursor becomes a cross , then release the mouse button.
5. Click Paste Special on the Edit menu.
6. Under Operation, click Multiply and then click OK.
#3... you can also highlight the first cell in a range, scroll to the bottom cell, press the SHIFT key and click that bottom cell (or click the top cell, press SHIFT, then END+Down Arrow) to highlight the whole range, instead of CTRL+Click to pick individually.

This will leave all the addresses as just plain text. If that isn't what you need, please post back.

lnijjar

lnijjar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hi there Linda!

I tried that, sadly it didn't work. Let me try to rephrase what is happening. In this cell there is an icon of an envelope (it came over with the cut/paste from the website). It maintained the hyperlink within it..but it's not visable by just looking at the envelope. When you pu thte cursor on it..yes the hyperlink shows and works when clicked. I'm trying to get that link to just show all the time as text or text/hyperlink. Maybe I misunderstood your guidance.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
What about a copy/paste special <values>? If that doesn't work for you, please copy one row into a new sheet, zip it and attach it to this thread. I'll have to look at it.

lnijjar

lnijjar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Here you go! It's a small sample section

Attached Files

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I'm not having any luck extracting the address out of that image. I'd be inclined to say go back to the source and try to copy it differently. Instead of simply copying the data from that webpage, see if you can edit it instead. If you can pull it directly into Word or Notepad, you might get the actual address instead of that envelope icon.

lnijjar

lnijjar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Sweet..I'll try that!!! Thanks again! I'll let u know if it works!