Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Full security suites vs. individual programs

• Please log in to reply

mediamaverick1

mediamaverick1

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I've heard it's better to avoid full suites because of the extra stuff they come with and potential system problems... curious what others here think about this. Do they tend to use more memory and cause more system problems, etc.? One suite I'm looking at has some things I probably don't need, but some things I may want compared to individual programs (spyware, virus, firewall). Also, I'm wondering if the interface might be nicer on a suite since it's all in one package. I'm talking about getting a GOOD suite and adding extra spyware protection on top of it. Is the difference that noticable? Any thoughts appreciated!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I personally prefer a Security Suite rather than separate products, easier to work with just the one interface. I use AVG Security Suite and have no hesitation in recommending it. http://www.grisoft.com

Just avoid Norton security products like the plague. Apart from being extremely bloated and using way too much memory, the antivirus component isn't even very good. Some of the free ones outperform it for virus detection. That's been proven and documented.

Edited by pip22, 26 April 2007 - 12:39 AM.