Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Reformat XP on a dual boot

• Please log in to reply

mridang_agarwal

mridang_agarwal

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Hi guys, i have a 60 GB HDD have two partitions. One half contains Windows XP and the other has SUSE Linux 10.0 on it. Now my XP has conked up and i wish to re-install it. However, i do not wish to harm my Linux installation. How o i go about it? Thanks in advance guys.

Advertisements

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
I have never done it on dual boot, but i can imagine it to be the same as normal formatting and installing,

insert your XP disc into the drive and reboot, press any key to access the cd (if you do not get this option, you need to change the boot sequence in BIOS), follow all the on screen instructions, then once you get to the format screen, only select the C:/ (if it is this partition that has WinXP on it) i personnally always do a full format, but a quick format is good.

this would only format the partition you selected, it has worked when i have partitioned drives to save peoples documents.

is your current install of XP not repairable?

Glen

mridang_agarwal

mridang_agarwal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
its way beyond repair. i'm going to format the box. Well, if i use the usual format method, the XP bootloder will overwrite the inux bootloader - wouldn't it. How would i then boot into Linux?

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Ah, yes. i'm pleased you mentioned that, i am not sure about that, TBH.

I think this is out my depth now! sorry i can't be any help. but maybe backing up the linus bootloader and then reinstall it?

Have you not had anyluck with searching this on google?

Glen