Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Pictures Going from email to HD without saving? "Expert" say

• Please log in to reply

GlennonPA

GlennonPA

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello
New to the Forum, thanks in advance for any info you can provide

At work I run into situations where at home/office where I will open an email that has pictures in it, I do not save them.
But the end up on my Hard Drive.

What are some ways this can happen?

I am told by "experts" the ONLY way is if I actually save it myself (for example, right click, blah blah blah) and do it that way

I'm sure there HAS to some other way a file can get from an email to a hard drive

BTW
These emails were through (and don't laugh) AOL , Which I've had since like 1994 and just never bothered getting rid of it..

We tried canceling and they ended up saying "Just keep the service for free (email addy's) :whistling: lol

Any info is much appreciated.

Regareds
-G Man

Advertisements

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
I'm not the best to answer your question, but I'm here now so I'll start and hopefully someone can give a more complete answer later.

If you are using a web browser (like internet explorer) to check your mail, every image off of every page you load gets stored to temporary files.

Outlook and outlook express type of mail programs also download and store attachments to your e-mail messages.

you can click on a picture and say save as... which will copy it to the location using the file name you specified. In general this does not eliminate the temporary copy.

Many programs exist that clean these types of files from your hard drive. Some even clean them so that they can not be recovered (by mortals, I assume law enforcement COULD recover even some of those).

I use CCleaner to clean my temporary files.Note this program is freeware but it does not make the files cleaned unrecoverable, it just deletes them.

I'm sure someone here will give you info about better/different cleaning programs.

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
Check this folder or related:

C:\Documents and Settings\(YOUR USER NAME)\Application Data\Office\Recent

And this folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\(YOUR USER NAME)\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK*

Clear out both.

Edited by jwinathome, 26 April 2007 - 07:31 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
before you chalk this up as a normal activity....it would be great to know where the pictures you're talking about are located on your hard drive...if they're located in the temp folders as suggested above...then it's normal...if they're located anywhere else...then it's not

GlennonPA

GlennonPA

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

before you chalk this up as a normal activity....it would be great to know where the pictures you're talking about are located on your hard drive...if they're located in the temp folders as suggested above...then it's normal...if they're located anywhere else...then it's not

They were not located in a temp folder.
Bacially they ended up in the default area for whatever the last file I downloaded was at

For example if I just d/l'd something to C:\blah\blahblah\blah

Its pretty serious, basically without getting into to much detail, my work is saying I "purposly" downloaded something that I KNOW I did not....

Of course its one of those sureeeeee budddyyyyy

But I'm trying to figure out some type of reason, some spyware, something that could run in the background that would grab files and put them somewhere.... like a backdoor type thing

Thanks for the quick response

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
May i suggest that you get with your administrator and explain the situation to him. You may be seeing stuff on the network or something.

Sounds like something they have configured.

GlennonPA

GlennonPA

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

May i suggest that you get with your administrator and explain the situation to him. You may be seeing stuff on the network or something.

Sounds like something they have configured.

Thanks for suggestion

Any other way this could happen?

Files getting on HD without right/click save as etc... ?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Don't forget when you download emails they are getting downloaded to your disk, attachments and all. Therefore they've always been on your drive as soon as your client downloads them. They don't open from AOL's end, they get downloaded to your machine.

GlennonPA

GlennonPA

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Don't forget when you download emails they are getting downloaded to your disk, attachments and all. Therefore they've always been on your drive as soon as your client downloads them. They don't open from AOL's end, they get downloaded to your machine.

Thanks Again
I'm still tryign to get a different type of answer

The thing Is I didn't hit "download" You know how sometimes you can "insert" the picture into the body of an email?

Anyways I was wondering if (not only in an office environment) if there is any types of virisus or spyware that can pull in info without you being aware of it?

I Would Reallllly like to get a good answer on this

GlennonPA

GlennonPA

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Another I'm trying to make sure there is a difference between

"having" to d/l to open something...

And d/l in'g it "on purpose"

Again I know it seems like a PIA question...
But for example I know someone who just got a new ccomputer and already there are pictures from websites that I KNOW were not downloaded in any way...

However I know email is diefferent

Thus I am asking the experts :whistling:

GlennonPA

GlennonPA

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
^Bump

GlennonPA

GlennonPA

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok lets say its not at the office, but ANY computer..

Is there any software that could be running in the background that would pull down pictures from email without you knowingly downloading?

Sorry to bother everyone with the same topic, just trying to get a answer that sounds like that is what happened.

Thanks everyone,

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
You have received an answer many times. When anyone checks e-mail from a client program OR surfs to a webpage, images and files are saved to the hard disk. No direct user intervention is needed. Opening the mail client program (to check e-mail) or starting a browser (for internet) is all the user interaction needed.

So YES the software that is running and pulling pictures from e-mail is the e-mail client. This is SOP for this kind of program.

And d/l in'g it "on purpose

Opening a mail client often times causes the client program to go and search for -email, download it to hard drive and THEN give you the option of which ones to read. Is that "on purpose" or not?

If it was web based e-mail, the web browser will download pictures contain in the e-mail for you. Usually to a temp directory.

Many browsers have a folder for downloaded files. It sounds like that is where the pictures you are concerned about were. I suggest a test, send yourself an e-mail with a picture in it (try putting it inside the message, attach it...) and see where the picture ends up when someone opens the e-mail.

Depending on the browser and the configuration of the browser, it could treat imbedded or attached files as "downloaded files" when they are viewed. You will have to prove it to your IT people though. A test would be the best way.

GlennonPA

GlennonPA

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank You

Its not only a at work thing(inside/outside)... Its a in general thing I'm seeking info of

leading statement is misleading, my bad

I think I got an answer going in the direction i'm looking for