Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

removing unwanted programs

• Please log in to reply

Technopuzzled II

Technopuzzled II

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My new computer came with many programs I know I will never use. I removed what I could using add/remove, but I have one program folder called Online Services which contains AOL,MSN,Vonage,Earthlink, etc. I think you get the picture. My problem: hoe the h*** can I uninstall this crap? Deleting just gives me a message that deleting does not remove these and directs me to'add\remove' where there's no evidence of them. I'm a complete novice here and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Depending on what type of computer you bought, those "programs" MAY be nothing but links to websites.

To find out, select one (using left click) then right click it and select "properties"...

If the type of file is "Internet Shortcut" you can delete the program without fear.

If it doesn't say that let us know what it does say...

Technopuzzled II

Technopuzzled II

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
OK, The program folder is called C:\Program Files\Online Services. Within this folder are subfolders titlled: AOL, Canada, Earthlink, EBay, MSN90, Netscape Online, PeoplePC, Vonage & zipca. I clicked on MSN & got : Files\Online Services\MSN90\LaunchMsn.exw. Is this whar you refer to as a shortcut. I apologize. I must appear really stupid but I'm really afraid to screwup.

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Files\Online Services\MSN90\LaunchMsn.exw.

do you mean EXE instead of EXW? if so, that is an executable file, NOT a link.

I believe (not completely sure) that LaunchMsn.exe is an installer and can be erased with no negative consequences. You may want to wait for someone else to agree before you erase this file.

I did erase that folder on a computer I installed (cannot remember for sure but I think it was an HP) with out any noticeable errors.

If MSN is not in your add/remove programs list, (which you implied but did NOT say) then you should be OK to erase it. This folder is SMALL right? How much total space?

You do NOT appear "STUPID" you appear to lack knowledge of computers. There IS a difference!!!

Edited by bobmad, 26 April 2007 - 01:21 PM.

Technopuzzled II

Technopuzzled II

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes I did mean EXE. The entire Program Files\Online Services is not included in in my add/remove programs list. MSN, as I noted in my earlier post, is but one of 9 folders included in the Program Files\Online Services folder. I too am beginning to think I could just delete it. I'm just afraid that I might delete some "common files" along with it. I read somewhere that is one of the dangers if indiscriminate deleting. Thank you for making me feel less stupid.