Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

2 opperating systems.

• Please log in to reply

Clueless101

Clueless101

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
i recently built a pc and installed a xp pro on it... but then decided to use a differnt version of xp that i had knocking around... so i put the disks for windows professiona xp custom.... ?w/e tht is? lol and installed it. e verything worked fine and it is much better than the normal xp for waht i wanted to use my pc for... appart from it seems to have failed to install over the old version so now when i turn the pc on... i hav 2 choose which os i want 2 use

the choices are:

Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Professional

!?!?! both the same. so anways. i chose one of them (which appened to be the new one i put on) and went to my computer > c drive... and i have 2 files called "Windows" and "Windows.0"...
i checked out the dates that there were created and seeing as both folders contaimed similar subfolders/files... deleted the oldest one as i thought it was the older insalled version of xp...
but not i only have one file called Windows.0... but i still get the choice of 2 os's on bootup. when i select the older version i am told it cannot run due to missing files and the pc restarts and i go back to the os choice menu.

i have had windows xp pro and mac osx runnin g at the same time before but that was with acronis os selector and on an old pc... what is going on? and how can i delete the old os files... or just get rid of the choice and make it automaticaly boot up with the working xp???

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
boot to the working version of windows, click on the start button, then the run button, in the box type "notepad.exe c:\boot.ini" without the quotes...notepad should open up with some words in it....copy everything from that file to your next post

Clueless101

Clueless101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Notepad document reads as follows...

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
so you deleted the windows folder and kept windows.0?

Clueless101

Clueless101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
yes because that was the latest one... it was the one with the most recent creation date...
i did wrong? lol

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
heheh...you answerd that question in too many parts...

windows folder is gone

windows.0 is still there correct?

if this is correct

do the start > run > notepad c:\boot.ini again and delete the following line

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

then save the boot.ini file and reboot...you should now not have any choices..and you should boot directly into windows

Clueless101

Clueless101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Yes thats right... ok will give it a shot... thanks :whistling:

Clueless101

Clueless101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Oooooookay... so i did what you sugested.. and it worked :whistling: ...
but... for some reason it seems to take over a a full minute and a half waiting on the black Windows XP Professional loading screen...? any ideas as to why it has suddenly slowed down quite so much since i did that? and another thing... when i do finaly get onto my user account, the display settings are all back to defualt... and i have to set them back to a viewable size etc before i can do anything... and i seem to always get a 'New Found Hardware' notification popup... telling me about my 'HID compliant mouse' and keyboard and that i should let the wizard search for new software updates etc...
why is nothing ever simple??? haha