Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems installing Win2k Server from a USB CD-ROM

• Please log in to reply

RealityGone

RealityGone

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay, so I went all out and bought a fourth ATA HDD for my server. I also wanted to do a fresh windows install, since it seemed it was getting to be that time (about almost 2 years installed). I knew I would need a USB CD-ROM drive. I already knew that my BIOS supported booting from a USB-CDROM.

Now, I must inform you that this is an old machine that is scavenged from parts of broken machines across the years (and some new parts too). It has an AMD Duron, 768MB RAM, 4 IDE HDDs, a SATA raid controller (it is cheap, i'm upgrading it soon) with 2 SATA drives connected. It also has a case fan, some bay coolers, and a floppy drive. It is hooked to a KVM as well.

Now, when I go to install Windows 2000 it boots off of the USB CD-ROM just fine. I load my third party SATA controller drivers (I have tried doing it without doing this as well with the same result). It then begins loading all those things that the Win2k installer loads. It loads FAT, NTFS, CDFS, then it goes to "Starting Windows 2000". At this point the screen blinks a few times then it blue screens.

The blue screen says "STOP Error occured" ... "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" with some various hex data there (if you need it I can get it). I honestly can't figure why this is happening. I am going to try disconnecting various components to see if I can find the culprit (maybe I can just install it after Win2k Server). However, I do know it isn't the SATA controller drivers, because it does the same thing when I don't load them during setup.

If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions, or maybe you've experienced this before I would appreciate any help you could offer. Thanks.

P.S. I hope I posted this in the correct forum, it seemed to apply more to Win2k than hardware... if I am incorrect could a forum mod please move it.

Edited by RealityGone, 26 April 2007 - 01:25 PM.

Advertisements

RealityGone

RealityGone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883114 <<=== MS Article in case someone else runs into this problem. (Thank you Izzy, you are awesome)

Also, I know unhooking a cdrom and hooking up a cdrom would work, but i couldn't do that at the time.

Edited by RealityGone, 26 April 2007 - 02:05 PM.