Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

2 Computers, 1 Router, Can you help me please?

• Please log in to reply

Yellowleader

Yellowleader

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi, Me and my Step-brother are on 2 separate computers that we both built ourselves (they are very good builds might I add :whistling: ) We are both connected through a linksys WRT54G router and can connect to the internet and be browsing at the same time just fine. But when we want to play Jedi Academy (or any other game for that matter) at the same time, only 1 of us can be on at once. Usually I could solve this but I am dumbfounded as how to. I know it is because we have the same static IP address through the router but would anyone know how to make it so that we both have a separate Address yet connect through the same router. I tried running through a proxy but it didn't seem to work. Would anyone possibly have a solution to this problem.

Thanks much
- Matt

Advertisements

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
Can you change your connections to automatically detect settings? And make sure that the router has DHCP enabled to assign IP addys to both PCs.

Yellowleader

Yellowleader

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I thought about DHCP before hand and checked it and it was enabled. Now what do you mean by automatically detect settings? This part I am not clear on ... :whistling:

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
What they mean is can you go into Network Connections and make sure the network adapters are configured to obtain IP information automatically. Its under the properties of the local area connection.

Once they are set to obtain automatically then they should try and get an address from the router.

If everything was already set to automatically get IP settings, then go to Start -> Run

Type cmd hit enter

type: ipconfig/release hit enter
type: ipconfig/renew hit enter

what happens then?

Yellowleader

Yellowleader

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
HAHA, I forgot about going through CMD prompt. I didnt think about releasing it and then renewing it. I thought hte major issue was that we had the same gateway ... but I did release and renew it and now we have different IP addresses (X.X.X.100 and X.X.X.101)

Thanks a bunch guys, I completely forgot about command prompt and ipconfig :whistling: :blink:

- Matt

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Hey no problem, glad it worked out for you! :whistling: