Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive info

• Please log in to reply

guaro

guaro

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi gurus

I have a laptop that has been crushed, my HD is a toshiba MK2018GAS, the laptop is dead, I cant just turn on the lap, I took the HD out of the laptop, what do I need in order to get the info out of the HD and copy the files into a dvd or another device where I can later retrive my info

Thanks a bunch for the help

Advertisements

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
Plug it up to another computer....depending on the connection, you may need a cable converter.

guaro

guaro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
you mean to a pc computer?

Schnick1

Schnick1

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
If you grab something like THIS, you'll have a portable external hard drive that can plug into a USB port on any PC.

This is probably going to be the easiest option for retrieving your data :whistling:

guaro

guaro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks a bunch gurus-geek

Schnick1

Schnick1

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
No Problem, always happy to help a fellow geek :whistling:

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Just a warning here that over 50% of the laptop external enclosures i have tried using have failed in running the laptop drive. I have tried 20 external kits from 5 manufacturers and only a few have worked. I have even had some work once or twice then start failing every time. I think the reason for this is the lack of enough power from the USB port to sustain the drives. I personally do not use them anymore but instead i use one of these in a desktop computer to recover data from drives. I have not had any failures with this kind of adapter but it does not cure bad hard drives.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

SRX660