Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse clicking on its own

• Please log in to reply

confusedinMich

confusedinMich

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Dell XPS400, 1GB RAM, 250 GB HD, NVidia GeForce 7900 GS, Windows Media Center 2005/SP2

First of all I know that mice are inexpensive, that they have to be cleaned regularly. I'm just curious. My mouse is a Dell one and last month I kept hearing a click noise as if I had clicked on something. So they replaced the mouse. Then the new mouse suddenly just started taking off on its own and the click noise came back. I had the new mouse for about 3 weeks. I purchased a Logitech wireless mouse last night and when I went online and clicked on the back arrow in IE it clicks several times, when I would click on a link while waiting for the page to change it would click several times. The tech at Dell had me disable the sounds for the mouse and go into IE's tools, internet options, advanced, mutimedia and uncheck play sounds in web pages. He said that since it is still doing it with the new mouse that means it is the mouse and he will send me a new one.

Okay, maybe he didn't understand that I just bought a new mouse and am still getting the click noises. The new mouse is doing the same thing that the first mouse began doing and the second one they sent. Disabling sounds as far as I am concerned is just a band-aid solution. It is my understanding that mice are a simple device, plug it in and use it. I can understand that maybe Dell doesn't know how to make a good mouse but why would my Logitech that is new be a problem? Could there be another issue?

Just curious. Thanks.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Some viruses are known to do odd things such as this. I had one once that made my desktop items jump around the screen when you moved the mouse pointer over them. I would check out the malware forums here: http://www.geekstogo...o_Here-f37.html.

Edited by Titan8990, 26 April 2007 - 03:11 PM.