Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Coco-pops, keyboard and other software issues

• Please log in to reply

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

Yeah, i missed the laptop part.

Why would I be embarrassed?

You are on a tech website and just suggested that a user dunk his laptop under water. You shouldn't be embarrassed, you should be horrified by your suggestion.

If I got embarrassed, I would be embarrassed for you. You know why I don't get embarrassed? Because I read what people say and think about my response before I hit post.

I recommend you do the same. If you aren't going to read the original post and put some thought into your responses before you respond. Then just stop responding. You are impressing no one with your current posts.

Read this article. Top to bottom, do not miss a single line. Then, read it again. I recommend you do this at least twice before you post here again.

Advertisements

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
ScHwErV – I agree with you 100%.

For the “Water option” – well I didn’t even consider it at all… true, I rarely wash my car… but Lap-Top, or any other “Crap-Top” NEVER!!!

And this can be good lessen for everyone – don’t mix H2O with any HD, DDR, RAM, ROM…, or any other equipment with exotic shortcuts…

Regards,

Den

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
You've never heard of someone putting a keyboard in water and letting it dry out?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you ever heard of someone putting a laptop in water and letting it dry out?

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*

have you ever heard of someone putting a laptop in water and letting it dry out?

I said I missed the part about it being a laptop. I thought he was talking about just a keyboard.

But you all don't read my posts completely.

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*

Yeah, i missed the laptop part.

Why would I be embarrassed?

You are on a tech website and just suggested that a user dunk his laptop under water. You shouldn't be embarrassed, you should be horrified by your suggestion.

If I got embarrassed, I would be embarrassed for you. You know why I don't get embarrassed? Because I read what people say and think about my response before I hit post.

I recommend you do the same. If you aren't going to read the original post and put some thought into your responses before you respond. Then just stop responding. You are impressing no one with your current posts.

Read this article. Top to bottom, do not miss a single line. Then, read it again. I recommend you do this at least twice before you post here again.

Maybe thats the difference between us...I am not trying to impress anyone.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I said I missed the part about it being a laptop. I thought he was talking about just a keyboard.

and that's the point that we're making....you didn't read the original post where it clearly states that this is a laptop and not just a regular keyboard.....you cannot give effective advice without reading the entire question correctly.....i know that you're talking about just a regular keyboard...and yes if you absolutely want to you can soak one of those all you want (assuming that it's a basic keyboard with no extra bells and whisles like lights or LCD screens) and let it dry out and it will work like a charm most of the time...but that doesn't remove the fact that THIS POST is about a laptop and your suggestion would not work....if you had read the actual question...you would have known that...

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*

and that's the point that we're making....you didn't read the original post where it clearly states that this is a laptop and not just a regular keyboard.....you cannot give effective advice without reading the entire question correctly.....i know that you're talking about just a regular keyboard...and yes if you absolutely want to you can soak one of those all you want (assuming that it's a basic keyboard with no extra bells and whisles like lights or LCD screens) and let it dry out and it will work like a charm most of the time...but that doesn't remove the fact that THIS POST is about a laptop and your suggestion would not work....if you had read the actual question...you would have known that...

So instead of pointing it out to me once, it needs to be hashed over and over and over? I apologize for misreading it, but I make mistakes. If you don't ever make a mistake, kudos.

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Dsenette – lol…
My neighbour has few on line in the garden… just out from the washing machine…

Now seriously, as I have said, I’ll try to open the lap-top at the weekend, take out the keyboard, and clean it with the compressed air and maybe some alcohol if necessary. I’ll post you how it goes…

Yes of course, it is not practical to have external keyboard with the lap-top, but this is the cheapest option, and I am OK with this at this moment…

Thank you all.

Regards,

Den

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
For jwinethome,
No worries – I understand you post anyway as a joke – but someone else can take it seriously, also, as you did: by not reading everything…

Regards,

Den

Advertisements

Gumby©

Gumby©

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Just as a suggestion, try taking the keys off again and cleaning with alcohol as you are planning. It could be that there is still some sticky milk causing the keys to stick down. It might not be visible but just a small coating. It worked for me after a friend was drinking and spilling Coke® while using my computer 'once'.

Gumby©

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
I tried to find the maker of your laptop, but didnt do a detailed search.

What I did with mine was went to the HP web site, dug and found the "service Manual" NOT the "User Manual"

If you are actually able to get ahold of a GOOD service manual, it will tell you where the screws are, which ones to take out in which order and exactually what part number you need to replace the keyboard.

Like a regualr keyboard, the laptop keyboard is its own peice that uses a ribbon to connect to the mother board, so its VERY simple to remove and replace. You just have to watch yourself with pulling out screws and make sure you get them in the right hole when you put it back together.

I hope that helps you out.

Thats my two cents that no one ask for :whistling:

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi and thank you.

Well, successfully removed the lap-top keyboard – I did it from the top, removed the plastic just above the keyboard… there was just one screw – unscrewed it … removed the keyboard… two more screws… and was able to take out ribbon connection…

Yes there was some dirt on the ribbon, cleaned it … also, cleaned everything else… put it back – unfortunately no luck: keys “m”, “.” and “\” still not working – It was disappointing.

Only what I can think of is that is something very dodgy inside the keyboard itself – although I have cleaned as much as I can… and as dsenette suggested: keyboard is in “bad shape”.

However, I have now the codes for the keyboard (from the label on the back of it), and I’ll try check in some PS shops if there is any second hand to buy and of course manufactures website (and any other if possible to find).

In the meantime, there is no other option but to use external keyboard: for now its OK – the cheapest solution. (with one big downside: now, when my kids realise that they can go away with this for just £10 – how to explain to them to be more careful…)

Thank you all for help.

Regards

Den