Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what is Protected Storage Manager?

• Please log in to reply

gary856

gary856

• Pip
  • 4 posts
On my W2K3 server I noticed on startup I was getting an EventID 7009 in system events. It said
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Protected Storage Manager service to connect.

I checked the services list, and I have a Protected Storage service and a Protected Storage Manager service. Both are set to automatic. The Protected Storage service is up and running. I have a second W2K3 server, and it doesn't have a Protected Storage Manager service. What is the Protected Storage Manager service? I've looked everywhere, Microsoft, Google, etc. and I can find no mention of it.

Advertisements

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi gary856
Welcome To Geeks To Go This should help you understand what it is and what it does and Please Do Not GO messing around as this can cause you a lot of Issues later on.
Protected Storage - provides protected storage for sensitive data, such as private keys, to prevent access by unauthorized services processes or users. (Protected Storage) P-Store is a set of software libraries that allows applications to fetch and retrieve security and other information from a personal storage location, hiding the implementation and details of the storage itself.

:whistling: Cheyenne 09 :blink:

gary856

gary856

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The Protected Storage Manager service points to the following
"cmd /c start C:\WINDOWS\system32\wmiprvse.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\ 2006"

I've Googled info that states that the wmiprvse.exe exists in C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem and if you find it anywhere else, it is probably a worm or spyware. But Windows Defender detects nothing, and I can't find any information concerning a worm or spyware that mentions a Protected Storage Manager service.

The Protected Storage service is legitimate. My question is what about the Protected Storage Manager service? Is that legitimate, or the byproduct of a worm or spyware?

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Gary856
This is what Protected Storage services Provides Protected Storeage for Sensitive Data and such as Private Keys. To prevent Access by Unauthorized services, processes or users Note - If Disabled you will not be able to access protected data. I hope this Answers your Question.
Don't Mess about in this Thank you

Edited by cheyenne 09, 27 April 2007 - 11:58 AM.

gary856

gary856

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
As I stated before, the Protected Storage Manager service is the one in question, not the Protected Storage service. They are two different services.

The Protected Storage service is running fine. It was never at issue. The unaccounted for service is the one called Protected Storage Manager. It is the one that was generating the error messages and crashing. I have disabled it, and the fact that it is now disabled does not seem to be affecting the function of my server.

I can find plenty of information through Google and the Microsoft web site about the Protected Storage service. But, as I stated before, I cannot find anywhere any information about a service specifically named "Protected Storgae Manager". I have two identical W2K3 servers, and the other server does not even have "Protected Storage Manager" in its list of services. This is why I wonder if it is spyware or a worm trying to hide itself by using a name that approximates "Protected Storage" service by calling itself "Protected Storage Manager" service.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Gary856
I have given you all the Information on this Subject that i can and Done a lot of searching on your behalf and if you Think there is any Possibility that you have got Malware or Spyware of any sort you should go to the Malware Forum as i Cannot Advise you on this Only the Malware Expert's can Do this. Good Luck

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.
Where you can get Help to clean up your Computer Problems. Thank You

Link To Malware Forum
http://www.geekstogo...o_Here-f37.html