Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Data Execution Prevention Error

• Please log in to reply

dancingdolphin

dancingdolphin

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Been chasing RAM problems, even took the Packard Bell EasyNote M5 Series to the store I bought it from. They were kind enough to replace the RAM for free, even though the easynote was just over its store warranty period. As they didn't find anything wrong with the RAM (512 meg), they suggested doubling it while they had the easynote open.

The original problem, computer crashing during dvd shrink operation and movie maker crashing after loading saved program, was still there after the store did the work on the RAM. However, I did get to use shrink once before it crashed the computer, but I couldn't use movie maker without it shutting down. Have been through [bleep] and sleepless nights trying to locate the problem, so finally uninstalled movie maker and shrink and reinstalled older versions of both: same results with crashes but at least this time movie maker gave me an error message, as follows:

Movie Maker error signature
Event Type: BEX
P1: moviemk.exe
P2: 2.0.3312.0
P3: 3e038613
P4: comctl32.dll
P5: 6.0.2900.2982
P6: 44ef1b33
P7: 0004e967
P8: c0000409
P9: 00000000

Edited by dancingdolphin, 26 April 2007 - 11:01 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi dancingdolphin...

Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Performance" section, click the "Settings" button. Under the "Data Execution Prevention" tab, tick the button next to "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:", then add your applications to the exception list and Apply the change.

Does this help?

wannabe1

dancingdolphin

dancingdolphin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi there,

No already tried that and it didn't work...but i finally found out it was a virus. took a couple of runs with Paretologic and Spyware Detector to find and delete all the bugs. Gee computers are great when they work the way you expect them to!!! Have run movie maker several times now and all is well. Haven't tried to shrink a dvd but don't expect any probs. Wasn't on the internet when the virus reared its ugly head, so must have got it on a disk someone loaned me. Thanks for your help!

Yacht Dancing Dolphin

dancingdolphin

dancingdolphin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Well, back again...thought I was over the problems. Loaded several antispyware/antivirus programs (cost me around US$250 - forget the conversion to A$....) would have been worth it if only I could get rid of "sfonditalia". Every program I have tried seems able to delete it, but it's back soon after....

Still trying to work out what makes it reappear. Yep, it's a trojan, and it's in there someplace. I thought it was lurking somewhere in Movie Maker or Shrink, but have done a delete and overwrite on those, including defrag, etc and still it comes back time after time........

HELP.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
:whistling: Post 19,000 :blink:

Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

dancingdolphin

dancingdolphin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks Keith...will post. Such an 'out of control" feeling is not a good thing....yeeccchhhh.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi dolphine.

So it was a bit early for dancing and beer. Bad luck. Please do as keith suggested re. the malware forum. Please re-read my last post in your previous topic.

Regards

The Skeptic

dancingdolphin

dancingdolphin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi Skeptic,

Backed up everything, scanned with 4 antispyware progs, reinitialized the laptop, as per your recommendations. Still have sfonditalia. The only program that seems to pick it up is Pareto Logic. Still waiting on reply from malware team. Thanks again.

dancingdolphin

dancingdolphin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi to all at Geeks to Go who helped with the above:

Sfonditalia trojan caused the loss of 50% of RAM, and most of the system crashes. It installed over 5,000 shortcut keys to pron sites in my registry. The only program I found that could detect its presence was Pareto Logic AntiSpyware. It was worth the few US$ to register, as at least I had a lead to where and how this trojan existed and kept reinstalling itself. Lucky for me, I had a friend who could completely erase and reformat my hard drive externally, and that's how we got rid of sfonditalia. We still firmly believe that it entered via an active x control download and, as I do not use websites that are dodgy, it's likely to have arrived via a site that was apparently on the "trusted" list. Best thing I learned out of this is to be very very very careful and not to install any active x controls at all, unless you have adequate protection and are really sure you understand the risks. But if you ever have a problem, I cannot recommend highly enough Geeks To Go: there is not a one of them that will quit until they resolve your problems. They are heroic folks, and us wanna-be-geeks would be lost without them!