Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repair Install Was Successful but...

• Please log in to reply

XP JohDotCom

XP JohDotCom

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I completed a Repair Installation and XP loads fine. All my data and programs are on the hard disc but I can't get to them easily. I think I need to transfer my old user account to my new one, No?

Advertisements

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hi johdotcom and welcome to g2g!

What do you mean you cant get to them easily, abit more info would be highly appreciated! and remember that manners go a long way here! :whistling: trust me! :blink:

Thanks

Glen

XP JohDotCom

XP JohDotCom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Glen,

I mean, I can see my data and my programs (via Windows explorer). When I sign on to windows using my user-name that Windows asked me to create again (during the last part of the Repair installation) and try to open a word document. It says "Word is not installed for that user."

Using Windows explorer, I can see what might be my old user name with some Hexidecimal hash after it (if it was your user account it would look like "Glen8H6AE7".

There are no documents in my new user Account, but they are all there on disk, but not in this new user account. The old user account like "Glen8H6AE7" is not offered as a choice at sign-on.

Was XP supposed to recognize my old user account and not ask me to create a new user account as the last part of the Repair Installation? Can I copy the old user settings and documents from the "Glen8H6AE7".

John

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
Copying the user account should work. Enable hidden files and folders, then copy the account.

XP JohDotCom

XP JohDotCom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
THanks... I just didn't think that would work because there really didn't seem like there was very much in the old account (maybe it is just pointers to the data rather than all the data)?

As this was my first repair installation, was XP supposed to recognize my old user account and not ask me to create a new user account as the last part of the Repair Installation?

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Sorry this is taking so long, i am still investigating this issue and will get back to you ASAP, i have never heard of this before, maybe one of the tech's will know!