Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AOL kicking me off

• Please log in to reply

abramd14

abramd14

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Why would aol keep kicking me off. My connection keeps getting interuppted. Why causes this? How can I make my connection more secure?

Advertisements

dflo404

dflo404

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
What type of connection do you have?

abramd14

abramd14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
dial up

dflo404

dflo404

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
It's easy to lose connection when using a dial-up connection, it's nothing unusual. But it also depends. Is this something that has just started? or did this start happening ever since you got AOL and the dial-up connection?

abramd14

abramd14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
It would kick me off every once in a while.....maybe once in a few weeks....but now it does it every 20 minutes.

abramd14

abramd14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
It has kicked me off about 4 times since i've started this post.

dflo404

dflo404

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Did you recently add any new hardware? Install anything big? If you made a big change to your computer, I would try system restore.
Is the connection hooked up with one phone line?

abramd14

abramd14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have just installed xp pro. (I had home) Could this have caused it?

dflo404

dflo404

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Well, unfortunantly I don't think a system restore could do anything if you installed a new Operating system. But I aslo don't think thats the problem. Upgrading the Operatings system shouldn't make a connection worse.

I guess the first thing you should do is try some spyware scans, and get rid of anything infesting your computer.

dflo404

dflo404

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
If your on a single phone line, it's very possible that they connection with the phone is interfering. If your connection has a seperate phone line, check the phone line cable to make sure it's secure.

Advertisements

abramd14

abramd14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I just found a search hijacking spyware...Could this have been the problem?

dflo404

dflo404

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
It's possible, I'd have to know it's information, but removing can can only help. Try going about your regular business for a little, and see if it continues to kick you off. :tazz:

abramd14

abramd14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks for all the help. :tazz:

I'd also like to know if McAfee is a good anti virus.

dflo404

dflo404

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
No problem, glad I could help (hopefully it's ok, if not don't hesitate to ask).

I used to have McAfee, and I didn't really have a problem with it untill this one time, I kept getting this error message. It began to get so bad, I couldn't use the computer, and had to get a new hard drive (real horror story). It turned out the file that was the source was a McAfee file. I don't know if it actually had to do with the software itself, or if it was something that got into that particular file.

So to sum it up, I didn't have it long enough to know whether it was good or not, now I just use Norton, since every other computer in the house uses it. If you get a constant error message as well, I would suggest getting rid of it. If not, I'm sure it does what it says it does.

abramd14

abramd14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I've also been trying to download my anti virus programs....I can't because I keep getting booted off...any suggestions?