Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rodent knawing on my hard disk?

• Please log in to reply

Neil07

Neil07

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi there !

Please help me. Periodically my hard disk makes a sound like a rodent is gnawing on it; "grrr-grrr-grrr-grrr" repeated between 2 and 6 times in sequence - most CPU processes stop for a few seconds while this is going on. It seems to occur mostly on boot-up or start-up of an application.

I recently cleaned my hard disk of malware - very many thanks to Kenny94 on your Malware Staff for his invaluable assistance - and have also run a RegEdit program of PC Tools (which I don't believe did anything significant). To the best of my recollection the problem has occurred from around the time recently that Microsoft Support remotely installed a HotFix solution for MS Outlook.

I'm running:

MS Windows XP Pro, version 2002, SP2 on a Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20 GHz machine with 1Gb RAM, about 2 years old, with 2 HDD.

Please tell me it's not my HDD going bad ! :-((

Thx, Neil

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Sounds like those you describe are likely an early warning that the hard drive is about to die. I would suggest backing up your data and getting a replacement drive.

Neil07

Neil07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi Austin,

Thanks for quick response. How can I tell which disk is creating the problem? Logically it should be my C:\ drive because most applications and the OS run off this drive - data is all on my D:\ drive but if I have to I'd prefer to replace one drive only.

Some other questions - could it be a problem with the Registry hives? If I have to replace a drive is there 'ghosting' or 'mirroring' software available that I can copy all my settings etc.

Thx, Neil

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You could try running the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics program on the drive. You can find links to most of those at http://forums.pcper....isplay.php?f=40 See the sticky posts at the top of the forum. Norton Ghost will mirror the hard drive. There are probably other mirroring programs as well. Usually a hard drive making noise like you describe is telling you that failure is imminent.